W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > May 2003

Minutes of the May 8th Conference Call

From: Umit Yalcinalp <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 15:34:06 -0700
Message-ID: <3EBADB5E.9050806@oracle.com>
To: umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com, www-ws-desc@w3.org
Minutes of the Conference Call (May 8th, 2003)


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Present:

    Erik Ackerman          Lexmark
    Mike Ballantyne        Electronic Data Systems
    Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
    Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
    Dietmar Gaertner       Software AG
    Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
    Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
    Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
    Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
    Steve Lind             AT&T
    Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
    Lily Liu               webMethods
    Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
    Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
    Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
    William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
    Umit Yalcinalp         Oracle
    Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

 

Regrets:
    David Booth            W3C
    Youenn Fablet          Canon
    Steve Graham           Global Grid Forum
    Ingo Melzer            DaimlerChrysler
    Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
    Arthur Ryman           IBM
    Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
    Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
    Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Agenda

1.  Assign scribe: Umit Yalcinalp

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2: Approval of the revised minutes of the May 1st telcon [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0028.html

... Approved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------



3.  Review of Action items [.1].

PENDING   2003-01-21: Roberto and gudge to create a branch and work up
                      a binding proposal based on referencing type
                      systems directly from operation components.
                      (Umit's example, Sanjiva's example, WSDL 1.1
                      example, and others.)

PENDING   2003-03-04: Editors to discuss markup for testable assertions
                      in the spec and come back with a strategy.

PENDING   2003-03-04: Jonathan to recruit a QA contact for the WG.

PENDING   2003-03-04: Jonathan to recruit a test contact for the WG.

PENDING   2003-03-13: Editors will find part 2 issues to dispatch
                      easily next telcon.

PENDING   2003-03-13: Don will write a proposal for annotating schema
                      with part information.

PENDING   2003-03-27: Philippe write up a proposal for embedding binary
                      data types in schema

PENDING   2003-04-10: Sanjiva to rewrite his proposal on bindings.

DONE [.4] 2003-04-17: Sanjiva to take the lead on coordinating the
                      meeting on bindings the day before the F2F

DONE [.2] 2003-04-24: Jacek to look at OWL and report back to the
                      working group.

DONE [.3] 2003-05-01: Roberto to write up uniqueness problem in Schema


PENDING   2003-05-01: Marsh to summarize WS Desc interest for XML Schem
                      subset to XML Schema WG

DONE      2003-05-01: Editors to clarify that recursive interface
                      inheritance is disallowed.

 

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0015.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0033.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003May/0020.html


... Roberto indicates that the uniquenss constraints are not a problem 
for document
fragments contrary to previous belief. [.3]

... Binding discussion participants will convene in the lobby of the
hotel at 7:00pm prior to the f2f meeting on Sunday. [.4]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

4.  Administrivia
  a. May FTF [.1] - second draft agenda [.2].
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0029.html

... Patterns task force progress may be moved earlier in the day to 
accomodate David to dial in.

... Joint meeting on Wednesday will address show stoppers for our fall 
dates and the meaning of web service.

... Jonathan solicits further changes to the agenda.

... Travelling may be disturbed the evenings on May 12 and May 14th as 
well as May 13th, the day of the strike in France. Attendees are 
encouraged to watch the mailing list for developments.

c. Sept FTF [.2]

[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003Apr/0049.html

... holiday starting on Friday will cause some attendees problems.

... wg meeting will be tentatively M-W (22-24 September). More on this
at the f2f.

  e. OWL last call review [.5]  Jacek's review recommends using OWL Lite 
[.6]


[.5] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0015.html

.. Jacek reports that there are three levels in OWL schema extensions:
OWL lite, OWL DL, and OWL full. OWL lite is sufficient for addressing 
the mapping problem. Jonathan will communicate the analysis for the Last 
Call.

------------------------------------------------------------------

5.  New Issues.  Merged issues list [.1].
[.1] 
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-issues.html

  - Proposal for advertising QoS features of a Web service in WSDL [.2]
    Status of this "submission"?  IP?  QoS is out of scope.  Relates to
    properties and features.

[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0020.html

... NO IPR issue exists. Two new elements are proposed to be added, 
(supports and requires) that may be used to indicate QoS. Phillippe 
thinks it is more in the scope of WS-Policy assertions. Jonathan asks 
what the wg should do with this document. Umit suggests we may cover it 
when we discuss properties and features in the f2f. Jonathan will add it 
to the agenda.

  - Kevin: Part 1 clarifications [.3]
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Apr/0166.html


... Kevin reiterates that clarifications are required for the tool 
developers to the process WSDL documents. Jonathan indicates the points 
raised will be useful for developing the test assertions. The editors 
will add the comments as a new issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

6.  Proposal for restricting a service to a single interface [.1].
  - Related issue (?) dynamic discovery of a service [.2].

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Apr/0069.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0004.html

... Jonathan thinks [.2] is related to item 7. and should be covered in 
that scope.

... Discussion deferred to f2f.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

7.  R085 Describing endpoint references.  [.1]

[.1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Apr/att-0088/R085-2003-04-22.html

... Jonathan thinks dynamic binding 6.2 may be a large item and would 
like to discuss how to define the scope if we were to consider 
addressing this. More to be discussed at f2f.

... Discussion deferred to f2f.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
8.  Multiple endpoints with the same interface [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Apr/0052.html

... Discussion deferred to f2f.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

... Meeting adjurned.
Received on Thursday, 8 May 2003 18:34:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:24 GMT