RE: proposal for restricting a service to a single interface

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Sedukhin, Igor S wrote:
> Let me put my voice into this dicussion. We're -1 on
> single interface per service.
>
> The reason is techically quite simple -- for aggregation
> purposes it is very covenient. Aggregation may be one of
> the important aspects of defining a possible
> usage/implementation pattern for manageable services.
> Association is NOT always sufficient, so your example,
> Sanjiva, is not the the only solution necessary for
> defining manageability, for example.
>
> The inheritance solution, proposed by Arthur earlier, I
> believe, does not work well for agregation because of the
> binding limitation. In case of aggregation, I may want to
> bind two interfaces designed for two separate purposes
> with two completely separate bindings, and still call it
> one service. If I try to mimic this with inheritance,
> bindings would have to be able to "partially concretize"
> an interface or dig through the inheritance and pick the
> one to concretize. That is too much of a change to binding
> spec and too much of complication for WSDL processors.

A related approach, but one I consider somewhat cleaner,
is to move the address and protocol information out of the
port element and into the binding elements and subelements.
The result is that one port can have different parts of it
bound to different protocols.  One can even imagine having
different operations of one interface bound to different
protocols.

This still might be too much of a change to the binding
spec, though.