Re: Proposal for Describing Web Services that Refer to Other Web Services: R085

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:48:14 -0400
Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:

[snip religious doctrine]

> JMS doesn't provide an application service, it provides a transport
> service.  You said that you used APIs over it; describe one of those for
> me, and I'll design you a URI scheme for it.
>
> For example, if you were retrieving stock quotes with JMS, your API
> might be "getStockQuote".  If it were, I'd create a URI scheme called
> "stockquote" so that quote identifiers could be;
>
>   stockquote://nasdaq/ibm;realtime
>
> I'd then create a SOAP based "stock quote retrieval" application
> protocol with "getStockQuote" as its lone application semantic, register
> a URI scheme, and then associate this protocol with the URI scheme.

You can do whatever you want, but it isn't defined as such in the JMS spec, whereas retrieval of addresses *is*.  My contention is simple: a web services description language ought to be able to describe current technologies.  It should not be restricted to only technologies redefined or wrapped in REST-compatible services.

Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.
alewis@tibco.com