RE: Port type extension proposal

Certainly +1 to the first two ammendments from Sanjiva.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 12:40 PM
To: Martin Gudgin; www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: Re: Port type extension proposal

This looks quite reasonable. However, there are some major features that
we (IBM) don't like:

- We need to have multiple portTypes per service, not just one. We
  believe that different aspects of a service's function are best
  modeled by different portTypes and it does not make sense to
  force one to combine all of them into one portType.

- The service must indicate its "type": with portType inheritance
  in place we (IBM) would prefer to have the service just indicate
  the interfaces it supports:
    <service implements="pt1 .. ptn"> ... </service>

- The semantics of inheritance needs to be defined more. What are
  the rules for two operations of the same (local) name from two
  inherited portTypes? I guess the Java (and I assume C# too?) rule
  of ignoring the namespace (package for Java) and just merging
  the local names will work. If there's a conflict then since we now
  don't allow operation overloading, we must require all inherited
  operations of the same name to have the same "signature." Similarly
  if the new portType defines an operation of a same ncname as one
  from an inherited portType, then it must have the same signature
  or its illegal.

I'll probably have more comments later .. but nice start!

Sanjiva.