serviceType attribute on service element not defined in WSDL SCHEMA

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:02:02 +0200
To: Web Services Description ML <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

The "serviceType" attribute of the "service" element isn't mentioned in
WSDL SCHEMA while WSDL specification mention it.

   Section 2.6:
    A service description component has a REQUIRED "serviceType"
    property which MUST be the qualified name of a serviceType
    description component.

   Section 3.7:
    The serviceType attribute allows one to indicate the serviceType of
    this service by referring to a previously defined serviceType.

In the WSDL SCHEMA the service element is definided having type

  <xs:complexType name="tService" >
      <xs:extension base="wsdl:tExtensibleDocumented" >
          <xs:element name="port" type="wsdl:tPort" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" />
        <xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:NCName" use="required" />

which doesn't mention any attribute named "serviceType".

Thus validating a WSDL document against this SCHEMA results in a

Is this a known bug?
Am I missing something?

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney