From: Stumbo, William K [mailto:WStumbo@crt.xerox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 9:25 PM
To: 'David Booth'; www-ws-desc@w3.org
Cc: Stumbo, William K
Subject: RE: Suggested simplifications to Simplicity Requirements

DR013 -- The WG Specifications must be simple to understand and
implement
correctly.

How exactly does one define 'simple to understand'?  While I support the
intent of this requirement 'simple to understand' is a hard notion to
measure against.  When do we declare success and move on?  Can the
requirement be restated:  The WG Specification must be unambiguous [I
suspect there are a couple other adjectives we might want to use here]
and
correctly implementable.

DR014 -- The WG Specifications must be compatible with existing Web
Infrastructure.

Can this requirement be combined with DR003?  DR003 -- Use available XML
technologies when possible.

DR017, DR018, DR102, and DR104 -- I agree with rejecting them.  They all
seem like design goals.  We might want to store them somewhere and as we
move forward on the design pull them out on occasion and review them
along
with the evolving specification.  It might be a good litmus test, seeing
how
we're doing against a set of goals.

Bill Stumbo
Xerox Research & Technology