W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > June 2002

Minutes, 27 June 2002 Web Service Description Telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:26:34 -0700
Message-ID: <330564469BFEC046B84E591EB3D4D59C06A08399@red-msg-08.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

W3C Web Services Description Teleconference 6/27/2002
                 Minutes of Meeting

Scribe: Waqar Sadiq

Participants:
	David Booth            W3C
 	Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 	Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 	Youenn Fablet          Canon
 	Dietmar Gaertner       Software AG
 	Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
 	Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 	Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 	Sandeep Kumar          Cisco Systems
 	Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
 	Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 	Michael Mahan          Nokia
 	Pallavi Malu           Intel
 	Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 	Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 	Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 	Johan Pauhlsson        L'Echangeur
 	Jochen Ruetschlin      DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
 	Arthur Ryman           IBM
 	Waqar Sadiq            Electronic Data Systems
 	Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
 	Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
 	Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
 	Steve Tuecke           Global Grid Forum
 	William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 	Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 	Joyce Yang             Oracle
 	Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

 
Regrets:
 	Michael Champion       Software AG
 	Glen Daniels           Macromedia
 	Laurent De Teneuille   L'Echangeur
 	Tim Finin              University of Maryland
 	Steve Graham           Global Grid Forum
 	Dan Kulp               IONA
 	Steve Lind             AT&T
 	Michael Mealling       Verisign
 	Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
 	Don Mullen             Tibco
 	Stefano Pogliani       Sun
 	Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
 	Daniel Schutzer        Citigroup
 	Dave Solo              Citigroup
 	William Stumbo         Xerox
 	Don Wright             Lexmark

Absent:
 	Mike Ballantyne        Electronic Data Systems
 	Mike Davoren           W. W. Grainger
 	Mario Jeckle           DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
 	Mike McHugh            W. W. Grainger
 	Sandra Swearingen      U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Air Force



Agenda:

1. Minute taker - Waqar Sadiq

2. Approval of Minutes
2a. Minutes from 6/20 telecon. approved.
2b) Minutes from F2F were approved

3) Review of Action Items
	- JM pointed out that the issues list on the group page points to the raw list rather than the combined issues list.
	- SW: It is easier to see a symbolic string for the issues rather than a cryptic number.  
	- Jonathan wanted to keep it as it is for existing issues.  
        - DB: Mentioned the editorial issues.  The proposal was to change the terminology for operations.  
		It would make the terminology consistent.  Nobody had problems.  
		These would be just terminology and not syntactic changes.  The terms such as request-response 
		will be deprecated and will be defined more clearly in the golssary section.
	- DM: Now that we have adopted the terminology change, we need to revisit and rephrase issues.  
        - SW: Don't think that makes much sense.
	- JM: Asked Dale to identify the issues that might be affected by the terminology change.
		Action item for DM to identify and rephrase the affected issues.
	- SW: (SOAPAction#1) - Pending.
	- JJM: (SOAPAction#2) - Pending
	- Issue 18 - Pending
	- Issue 23 - Done
	- Issue 24 - ?????
	- Issue 30 - Done
	- Issue 32 - Duplicate.  JJM expressed confusion anout the issue.  JM decided that we will revisit the issue
			and clarify it.

4. JM - Soap task force meeting will be held at 8:00 AM EST on Monday.

5. Sandeep will be the primary representative from CISCO, replacing Krishna.  JM - No apparent need to find a replacement for Krishna's editorial responsibilities.

6. Requirements document 
	- New draft requirement were submitted by Sanjeewa earlier.
	- SW: These are 2 new requirements that should be added?
	- TJ requested clarification about how WSDL would be affected.
	- JM: Can we publish our requirement document or should we first talk about these draft requirements?
	- TJ: Should go ahead and make it a draft requirement but would like to understand them better.
	- JS: Comfortable to add this as a draft requirement but needs further discussion.
	- Resolution - Add these 2 as draft requirements.  Postpone publication of the requirements document untill we have 
		better understanding and have had chance to investigate these 2 new requirements. 
        - ACTION - JS will add the draft requirements to the document.
	- Philippe brought up another requirement  (Creating a media type for WSDL). 
	- ACTION : JS will add this as a MUST requirement and it will not be discussed further.

7. WSDL 1.2 Part 1&2

	- SW: Part1 is 80% complete for basing on infoset.  Binding and Service types are left.  Suggested to
		put editorial note saying that binding and service elements be left in the old form until
		the new issues are resolved.
	- JM: Proposed that WG approve the publication of Part 1 and any show stopper objections be resolved 
		by next Thursday.
	- No objections to publishing Part 1 by next Thursday.  
	- ACTION: All working group members to
		review the document and raise objections by next thursday.  If no objections are reaised, then it 
		will be published.  SW will distribute a draft of final draft by the close of the day on Thursday.
	Part 2:
	- JM: Same as part 1.  No objections to publishing by next thursday.
	- PY: Asked about the status of the documents after they are published.
	- JM: They will be working drafts.

8. ISSUES
	
	- No objections to closing issues 57, 43, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34, "issue-clarify elements" & 42.
	- All those issues will be marked as resolved.
	- Issues 26 & 60 will remain on active list and be resolved over the next few weeks.

9. Action: Issues list editors to look at them and make sure that they are not duplicate and add them to issue list.

10. Editorial Issues
	JM: Would it be more productive to provide people some time (2-3 week) to review and agree and identify the editorial 
		editorial issues.  The editors can then ake the editorial corrections and dispose
		them off withou tfurther discussion.
	Resolution: 2 week deadline to point out and verify editorial issues list. 

11. Overloading operations:
	
	- JY: Disallow overloading but is possible through XML Schema.  SW mentioned that it 
	could be in the primer. 

	- Some discussion on where it should go? Primer and mail archive. 

	Resolution: No resolution.  
	Action: JM will think about what should be done with it and track it.
	
12. SOAP role attribute:
	
	- Discussion between PY, Jack and JJM about whether the roles are static or dynamic.

	- No body has objected to the proposal.

	Resolution: Issue closed.  JJM's original proposal with the firendly ammendment will be integrated 
			after the spec. document has been published.
	
	
	General: JM agreed to send out an email listing the closed issues and pointers to their resolution.

13. Issue-require-targetnamespace

	- All WSDL components must be in a namespace.	

	Resolution: No objections.  Issue closed.

14. Remove name attribute

	A lot of discussion on this issues.

	Resolution: Need to be discussed further.  Defer back to email discussion to clarify.


No telecon. next week.


Summary of Action Items:
     2002-06-20: Sanjiva. Champion for 6c. Issue: SOAPAction1 #1
     2002-06-20: Jean-J. Analyze whether WSD should gneralize a
                 mechanism to provide protocol headers. This was 
                 discussed as part of 6d. Issue: SOAPAction2 #2
                 actor URI in WSDL? #17
     2002-06-20: JeffS Champion for 6h. Issue: Default for transport 
                 of <soap:binding> #18
     2002-06-20: Issue Editor. Jean-J identifies dup issue: 6q. Issue: 
                 SOAP 1.1 backward compatibility support? #32 (Needs
                 Clarification.)
     2002-06-27: JS will add the draft requirements to the document.
     2002-06-27: JS will add media types as a MUST requirement.
     2002-06-27: SW will distribute a draft of final draft by the close of
                 the day on Thursday.
     2002-06-27: Issues list editors to look at the issues in Agenda item 9
                 and make sure that they are not duplicate and add them to
                 issue list.
     2002-06-27: JM will think about what should be done with the suggestion
                 for a note or appendix on 1.2 -> 1.2 transition.
Received on Thursday, 27 June 2002 15:26:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:20 GMT