From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Sent: 05 May 2004 14:47
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: WS Implementation Question

First, apologies for posting on an architecture group a question that is clearly about implementation.  The reason I am doing this is, as will become apparent, I am totally unfamiliar with the platform in question and I am hoping that someone will be kind enough to give me some helpful hints.

We have a person here who is trying to provide some Web service interfaces to specialized search functions on our corporate intranet, with interop (consumption from .Net) an objective.  The specific search engine involved is Inktome, which I believe has a Java API but no direct Web services interfaces.  He does not seem to have available any of the major development platforms that provide Web services in Java (e.g. WebLogic, WebSphere, JBuilder), and I believe that he is using fairly low level libraries in the Apache context.  It sounds like he is using these low level calls to construct SOAP messages from the ground up, and that he might intend to do something similar to make WSDL files.  This sounds to me like an awful lot of work, and it also seems to me that it potentially gets one into the difficulties of dealing with the very detailed and potentially tricky issues covered by WS-I basic profile.

Can someone point me to some sort of development environment or libraries likely to be available in this copntext that are a little higher level -- so, for example, someone else has figured out how to conform to WS-I?