RE: WS Implementation Question

From: Champion, Mike <Mike.Champion@softwareagusa.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:39:15 -0600
To: "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

  _____

From: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) [mailto:RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 9:49 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: WS Implementation Question

Can someone point me to some sort of development environment or libraries
likely to be available in this copntext that are a little higher level --
so, for example, someone else has figured out how to conform to WS-I?

Hi Roger,

My guess (as a person who tries to understand all this, not as a user) would
be that the developer should look at Apache Axis -
http://ws.apache.org/axis/ <http://ws.apache.org/axis/>

"Axis is essentially a SOAP engine -- a framework for constructing SOAP
processors such as clients, servers, gateways, etc. The current version of
Axis is written in Java, but a C++ implementation of the client side of Axis
is being developed.

But Axis isn't just a SOAP engine -- it also includes:

*	a simple stand-alone server,
*	a server which plugs into servlet engines such as Tomcat,
*	extensive support for the Web Service Description Language (WSDL),
*	emitter tooling that generates Java classes from WSDL.
*	some sample programs, and
*	a tool for monitoring TCP/IP packets."

Easier WS-I support seems to be promised in the v 1.2, currently in alpha.

Of course, with the price of gas these days you folks should be able to
afford a commercial WS development environment, eh :-)