RE: Web Service Description and stateful services - (on the 'www-ws@w3.org' list) Debating on a) Stateful Web Service Instances b) Stateful Interaction - OGSI

From: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:55:39 -0700
To: "Newcomer, Eric" <Eric.Newcomer@iona.com>
Cc: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

> I think semantics and state are different things.  You can have either without the other.

Semantics is always a vague concept, so let me try to further clarify. What I was referring to is something that describes the internal behavior of the service and is currently not expressed in the WSDL interface. To take Chris' example, if a client sends a message containing two coordinates to a map service with the expectation that the service will refer to a map that the client previously retrieved, this particular server behavior is what I would say to be part of its semantics (i.e. not expressed in the interface).

Ugo