Re: Web Service Description and stateful services - (on the 'www-ws@w3.org' list) Debating on a) Stateful Web Service Instances b) Stateful Interaction - OGSI

Ugo Corda wrote:

>>I think semantics and state are different things.  You can have either without the other.
>>

>Semantics is always a vague concept, so let me try to further clarify. What I was referring to is something that describes the internal behavior of the service and is currently not expressed in the WSDL interface. To take Chris' example, if a client sends a message containing two coordinates to a map service with the expectation that the service will refer to a map that the client previously retrieved, this particular server behavior is what I would say to be part of its semantics (i.e. not expressed in the interface).

+1

But semantics have to be formalized. An OWL/RDF framework is going to
give you a way to incorporate such semantics, but if you can't agree on
the semantics it's not going to make much difference.

Assume you formalized the semantics of maintained state to indicate what
it means, how it is used and what information needs to be carried in the
message. Say we call that language WS-State. Where would you annotate
the service definition to include the necessary descriptions? Would you
need OWL/RDF or can you get by with features and properties? Or use
WSDL's extension mechanism?

arkin