Re: Fw: Naming a Web service resource

+1

To the "general public", all the UBR nodes are equivalent.  Yes, at
times, there may be differences between the nodes due to latency, etc.,
but the same may be true for ATM's at your bank.  Nonetheless, under
normal circumstances, they are viewed as interchangeable.

For certain special purpose operations where some 'more knowledgeable'
entity interacting with the UBR, then that entity may make use of this
deeper understanding of things. E.g. if I (assuming I'm a 'more
knowledgeable entity' :-/ ) register some new service with the UBR, I
may want to know the site at which I registered -- first, so I can check
"immediately" afterwards to make sure it worked ('more knowledgeable,
not more trusting) and second, so that after some prescribed latency
period, I can check the 'others'.  But that's not a 'normal' thing.
Most requests, assuming the UBR is worth having, will be lookups, and
mere mortals will not tend to look everywhere and compare notes.

I rather like the comparison to namespaces -- it isn't a namespace /per
se/, but it is a moniker which identifies the 'collected stuff' on which
the service operates (desparately attempting to avoid the 'resource'
word).  Whether it has a representation is a subject that can be left --
some sites may choose to materialize a description, free text, or some
standard may be developed which gives some more formal meanting.
Nonetheless, there's a way to link things together.

/fred

Thus quoth Anne Thomas Manes (~ 08-Jul-03 7:21 AM ~)...

--
Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.

mailto:fred.carter@amberpoint.com
tel:+1.510.433.6525 fax:+1.510.663.6301