Re: The UR Trout: Web Services, REST, SOAP

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:25:18 +0600
To: <www-ws-arch@w3.org>

"David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com> writes:
> Personally, I think that http and xhtml things are web resources, not Web
> services.  If there's a WSDL description available and it's a SOAP thing,
> then it's a Web service.
>
> But I think that there are still the 4 views that we haven't quite
> reconciled: http/xml things are web services; soap things are web
services;
> things with wsdl are web services; soap things with wsdl are web services.

As a WSDL kinda guy, I am of the "has WSDL => is a Web service"
orientation. HTTP/XML "services" can be described fully in WSDL
and programmed in the same way as SOAP accessed services. I don't
see why people need to get hung up on whether the data is carried
in "raw" XML or wrapped in a SOAP envelope .. those are just
"binding details" in my mind.

If one says HTTP/XML is not a Web service, then is something that
uses the SOAP Response MEP a half a Web service??

Sanjiva.