From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 12:18 PM
To: Hao He; 'Anne Thomas Manes'; 'Christian Hoertnagl';
www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: programming model for document-style SOAP

Do you know that person that uses the blade of a knife to turn screws
and
the handle to knock nails in place? Do you think they could do a better
job
if they had a better knife?

A professional would always use the tool that is most appropriate for
the
problem at hand. So if the problem is building coarse-grained interfaces
then RPC would not be the right tool. RPC would be the knife from that
alegory.

On the other hand if you want to slice bread, a knife would work better
than
a hammer or a screwdriver. So sometimes a knife is exactly what you want
do.

As a professional I also like to understand what the problem is so I can
find the right solution. Even if I have the best RPC tool, if the
problem I
am trying to solve required non-RPC interfaces, then an RPC tool is not
the
right approach. If someone is using RPC as the solution to a non-RPC
problem, I do not blame the tool nor do I care how good the tool is -
they
are using the wrong tool. Period.

Some abstraction layers are best achieved by having non-RPC interfaces.
Even
if you can download an RPC tool developed in 2010, you are still better
off
not using it because it's the wrong tool.

On the other hand, some abstraction layers are best achieved using
RPC-interfaces where there is sufficient abstraction in the RPC layer.
In
that case, a bad RPC tool would be a bad RPC tool, but still the tool of
choice.

We all know why non-RPC abstraction (PO being the mythical example) is
good.
So I won't bother to explain why you shouldn't use RPC for purchase
orders.

Instead I'll look at a different example. Let's say I have a procurment
application. Every day users go in and place orders for various
quantities
of aluminium. They never buy anything else. I also have another system
for
buying office suppliers.

I can abstract the two systems and have a unified interface. But that
means
the users who buy office supplies would want to know what they do with
the
weight/density/MTBF fields. And the users who buy aluminium would want
know why they need multiple line items with different SKUs.

I get much better bang for the money if I use a standardized
(abstracted)
purchase order schema to send all my purchase orders regardless of what
I am
buying. But I get much more bang for the money if I customer tailor the
front-end to the specific needs of the user.

Now, here's the tricky part. My users could have an abstracted form in
which
they have to write the XML purchase order document. Or they could have a
form with a set of fields which represent the data they need to provide.
am not fooling myself, the later case is a form of RPC. Even if I encode
it
as an XML document, it's still RPC.

The question is: where do I perform the abstraction between the very
specific form and the very generic purchase order? Do I make it inside
the
front-end application? Do I separate the presentation side of the
application from the abstraction component and have an interface in
between?

In the first case I may end up mixing presentation with logic. In the
second
case, I need an interface between the HTML form and an application level
representation (the actual RPC operation). I can decide to always make
it an
API. I can decide to use IIOP. I can decide to expose it as SOAP.

Of course whenever the interface changes (say I add more fields to the
form), I need to change the software. A bad thing. I pay for it in
developer
time. But, if I make the interface task-specific (less abstract) I get
better productivity on a day to day basis. So I make my users work less.
good thing. Personally, I think software should work for the user
instead of
the user working for the software, so I would go for the task-specific
solution.

In this example I am actually illustrating two different uses of WS. In
one
we expose services over the Internet to be used by a large collection of
heterogenous systems, in which case RPC may be the least preferred
approach.
In the other, we have a very specific solution, in which case RPC is the
better approach.

Pros and cons to having RPC (as well as non-RPC, never as the only
option):

Pros:

1. No superflous abstraction when it's not needed. Use the right tool
for
the right problem.
2. Increases the uses for WS, benefiting from the network effect to make
WS
even more usable.

Cons:

1. Two options, developers may end up using the wrong tool.

I personally think the pros outweight the cons. That is, I would want to
have two options. I would counteract the cons by having best practices
that
would instruct people when to use the right tool. We all know that
restricting options does not lead to better solution since it does not
prevent people from doing things the wrong way. It only gives them less
options.

So in my world we don't say RPC is bad. We say RPC is not suitable for
systems where you want to expose services over a heterogenous network of
clients and protect from changes as much as possible. Using RPC in such
scenarios is bad.

arkin