Re: Generic URI things

Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote on 01/08/2003 03:54:50 PM:

<snip/>

> In progress, at least for Waka.  But while that's important, it doesn't
> matter to the uniform constraint.  It's uniform, because the meaning of
> "MONITOR" and "WATCH" is meaningful to all things with identity (I can
> use it to monitor dogs, chickens, lava flows, weather reports).  The

No it isn't. It is meaningful to resources which support that method for
starters. Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, I still have no idea whether this
is your MONITOR or mine... Will I get a lizard on my doorstep next week
or will I be notified that the state has changed through some less toothy
means?

Further, can you demonstrate/prove how it is that your assertion that the
uniformity
of the interface with regards to all identified resources is what actually
derives the benefits you suggest? *MIGHT* it be the case that it is the
standardization
within a domain that has accorded much of the benefits observed?

> only thing that would make it non-uniform is if it was only meaningful
> to a subset of things, such as MONITOR-STOCK-QUOTE only being meaningful
> to stock quotes.
>
> MB
> --
> Mark Baker.   Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.        http://www.markbaker.ca
> Web architecture consulting, technical reports, evaluation & analysis

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624