RE: Snapshot of Web Services Glossary

I think part of the difficulty here is trying to define synchronous and asynchronous the same way across different levels. As Assaf said in a previous note, synchronous and asynchronous can have different specific meanings depending on the scope/layer/context we are referring to.
In our case, we should give a definition that applies at the level I would roughly call the SOAP level. Not at the transport/transfer level. Not at the choreography level.
That's the level I had in mind when I sent out [1].

> Sooooo -- I am really wondering how one can make an
> asynchronous message
> out of synchronous components.

The usual example is two HTTP requests making up a single request-response interaction. I think everybody agrees that HTTP is a synchronous protocol at the transport/transfer level. Nevertheless, the whole interaction would be asynchronous at the SOAP request-response level if you follows a definition like the one I gave at [1]..

Ugo

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Feb/0261.html