Re: D-AG0009; Semantic Web & Web architecture

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:41:42 -0500 (EST)
To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com (Champion, Mike)
Cc: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com (Champion Mike), www-ws-arch@w3.org
> Nice explanation/analogy.  I would be happy to see something like this

Thanks.

> as a strong requirement for a Web Architecture -- that it encourage
> "controlled vocabularies", whether textual or numeric, that machines
> can use to process "semantic" information from messages and results.

Agreed.  I think this is part-and-parcel of our charter directive to
not require any "a priori" knowledge of parties.  Also known as issue 1;

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/2/issues/wsa-issues.html#x1

and my comments on it;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0164.html

(actually, I'd like to see this be made explicit in D-AG0007)

> > What Tim means by "The Semantic Web", is to extend those kinds of
> > transfer-level semantics to the body of the message, where currently
> > they are mostly limited to the envelope.
>
> Well, I can agree in the abstract, but I'd have to see this working in
> practice
> before agreeing that it is a strong requirement on the WS arch to support.
>
> Anyway, both Mark and I seem to like the term "aligned with" even though we
> have
> rather different levels of enthusiasm for the SW initiative.

Right.