  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Doug Bunting
  Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 6:11 PM
  To: Public W/S Arch
  Subject: Updated status of D-AG0014, coordination / liaison outside W3C

  All,
  We've had a bit of discussion on this goal since my previous Status email
[1].  Unfortunately, even the small group of Hugo [2], Daniel [3] and I [4]
hasn't reached agreement.  (Or, maybe I'm just unconvinced.)  Hugo has
chosen to put the debate aside until decided when describing the status of
D-AG0013, coordination within W3C [5].

  In [4], I asked the following questions:
  1. whether "liaise" is in scope,
  2. whether working with outside groups is sufficiently distinct from
working with W3C for its own WSAWG goal, and
  3. whether such work is distinct from recognizing available technologies
from outside groups for its own WSAWG goal.
  4. whether "other groups doing Web services related work" in the current
text for D-AG0013 should be clarified to specifically encompass those groups
not part of the W3C.

  The text I was referring to in 4. was

    D-AG0013 "co-ordinate with other W3C Working Groups, the Technical
Architecture Group and other groups doing Web services related work in order
to maintain a coherent architecture for Web services."
  Note: I've updated this to include David's point about the singularity of
the TAG [6].
  If 3. (recognizing outside technologies) is part of goal D-AG0003 or
D-AG0011 or one of the others, this would be another reason to remove
D-AG0014.

  As it is, we definitely need more input on this goal and it is not clear
we're ready for critical success factors (even if I knew how to measure or
liaison ability).  The current text remains

    D-AG0014 "serve as liaison with groups outside W3C who are working on
web services in order to achive interoperability and reduce duplication of
effort"
  I believe this goal should be removed and handled through the extension to
D-AG0013 previously discussed and captured above.  While "liaise" and
"coordinate" are somewhat different terms, the goal is the same.  Our
ability to meet any external liaison goals may be less than our ability to
perform coordination internal to W3C but this doesn't change our aims.  If
the group wishes to maintain this as a separate goal from D-AG0013, I might
suggest a parallel goal structure:
    D-AG0013 "co-ordinate with groups outside W3C doing Web services related
work in order to maintain a coherent architecture for Web services."
  thanx,
      doug
  [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0206.html
  [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Mar/0263.html