Re: Back to Requirements (was RE: Web Service Definition [Was

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 01:03:38 -0500 (EST)
To: RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com ("Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)")
Cc: chris.ferris@sun.com, www-ws-arch@w3.org
> Why is it critical that a web service have only one interface?  I don't know
> of any mechanism by which there could be more than one, but what would be
> the problem with that if someone figured out how to do it?

Because the "Web way" to do this is to have a different URI for each
interface.  That is, if we had some chunk of software that had both an
operational interface and an administrative interface, we'd give a URI
to each.  Of course, this design pattern (can't recall the name) has
also been used by other component systems in the past, such as COM (I
believe).

I'm just wondering if this was a case of "why not support multiple
interfaces?!", "we definitely need it because ...", or "oops, hit the
's' key". 8-)