Re: [hst] harvest list (repost from Mon 07/08/2002 05:20 PM)

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:35:56AM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> While I'm not on the hst subgroup, I do have a suggestion: why not focus on
> SOAP and WSDL for the initial set of harvestable entities?
>
> We would be quite successful (80/20 mark hit) if we produced an architecture
> document that - in it's first incarnation - described the architecture of
> SOAP and WSDL, how they work together, and how their
> extensibility/composability models form the principles of web services
> architecture.

The problem is that SOAP and WSDL are just specifications that can be
used with many architectural styles, not systems by themselves.  So
there's no architecture there to be harvested, only aspects of each that
are to be considered when using each within the context of a style of
architecture.

The list of technologies we were considering included some systems; the
Web (via REST), Meerkat, and then the suggestion to harvest
Jini/JavaSpaces.  IMO, it would be unfortunate not to harvest at least
one architecture on a first pass.

If the group likes your suggestion, and wants to focus on SOAP and WSDL,
perhaps we could pick a running system whose architecture we can
observe?  The Google API maybe?  It doesn't matter which one to me, as
long as the group feels it's representative of a Web services
architecture.