Re: Semantics

I concur, private agreement is sometimes required.

Mandatory extension mechanisms such as SOAP's mustUnderstand feature and
SMIL's skip-content, were intended to address the tension between the
need for both private agreement and public specification.  They address
it by permitting private extensions to remain entirely opaque, except
that they must signal - via public specification - whether they must be
understood for the message/content to be successfully processed.

Since we've got a solution for this problem, I see no need to rule out
private agreement.