Re: Semantics

Suresh:

   Essentially it boils down to the interactions between entities that
are owned by different people.

   Firstly, note that there is a difference between publicly observable
semantics and publicly observed communication. I.e., we are talking
about the form of the communication/descriptions etc rather than the
actual communicated information.

  If I may draw an analogy with security here: the encryption algorithm
being public benefits all users of the encryption algorithm; and
actually makes the communicated text more secure (assuming the algorithm
stands up to scrutiny of course).

  It turns out that if the very method of describing the meaning of a
service (or anything else for that matter) relies on unobservable
characteristics then you get into a lot of trouble; in particular it
becomes impossible to test for compliance.

  The wording could be clearer; but the intention is to make sure that
the principles for any semantic descriptions are set out properly. It
isn't necessary to preclude a private agreement; what is necessary is to
preclude a private agreement about the forms of messages and
descriptions. For example, we might have an out of band agreement that
the words yes and no should be swapped in their meaning. If that is not
documented then everyone is in trouble, especially you when I renage on
our agreement! With a public semantics it makes possible services such
as escrow, non-repudiation etc etc. As well as generally oiling the
wheels of interactions.

BTW, the requirements that come out of this goal should, IMO, primarily
result in requirements to the semantic web folks. From our POV we merely
need mechanisms to permit the description of services in a clear way,
and to provide architectural elements and mechanisms for managing
descriptions.

Semantics is a critical piece of the overall web services field, simply
because of the public nature of the Internet.

Frank McCabe