RE: Web Service Definition [Was "Some Thoughts ..."]

From: Joseph Hui <jhui@digisle.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:51:45 -0800
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "Champion Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com>, <steve.vinoski@iona.com>, <www-ws-arch@w3.org>
Hi Mark,

[snip]
> > So, instead of trying to compile a list which shall soon
> > become amiss no matter how exhaustive we can make it now with
> > existing definitions, I'd propose we take a different tack,
> > to define web services by properties, which are more likely
> > to remain invariant with time.
>
> As Daniel said, this definitely looks like a set of requirements.  But
> requirements do not a definition make. 8-)

Requirements may make no definition.  Properties can.  Besides,
requirements met may be prosperities become, and vice versa ;-)
A WS definition goes a long way towards shaping the requirements
of the WS-Arch to be defined.  I only mentioned the properties
also sounded like requirements.  (Of course I'm glad to see Daniel
can make good use of them for meeting our goals and deadlines. :-)

Anyway, I did state my reasoning behind the def-by-properties
tack and would rather leave it to the group's consensus than
protract a WS-Def debate that is widely known for being,
well, protracting.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service