From: Champion, Mike [mailto:Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 12:31 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Some Thoughts about Goals

I think I agree with most of these points.  I'd phrase my position as:

a) we need at least a fuzzy definition of "web services"  up front so that
we can make sure that we're all on more or less the same page when defining
an architecture for them.

b) that definition should in principle be general enough to include multiple
message exchange patters including the "RPC over HTTP" model that is
currently dominant, the more traditional "EDI using XML and the Internet",
and the emerging "Next generation web services based on REST principles"
(see http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/02/06/rest.html
<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/02/06/rest.html> )

c) Ideally, this group would take the time to make sure that the
architecture is "right" before releasing it.  I believe that the history of
the internet and software industry shows clearly that "the best is the enemy
of the good."  That is, those who take time to do it "right" are left in the
dust because a barely adequate solution beats no solution every time, and
technology (and business reality) changes rapidly and unpredictably, so
multi-year projects almost always look much different at the end than
anticipated at the beginning.  So, some meta-requirements are:

*	The work must proceed by successive refinement, starting crude, and
iteratively fleshing out details based on feedback from the "customers" and
the experience of web services projects and products in the real world.

*	The architecture must be modular and relatively decoupled (or
perhaps "must employ best practices to help ensure that it can evolve
gracefully as conditions and requirements change").

*	Time to market is indeed critical; if the architecture this group
defines diverges sharply from common practice, it will not have much impact
(the OSI 7-layer networking reference architecture is often cited as a bad
example here).

*	Simplicity (in the sense of being understandable and implementable)
is also critical, partly because it supports the "time to market"
requirement, and partly so that it can be communicated to interested parties
as efficiently as possible.

d) Bare minimum requirements for the architecture itself are:
*	Provide for rigorous definition of web service invocation mechanisms
(URIs, SOAP, and something like WSDL) to ensure interoperability

*	Support platform/vendor/language neutrality

*	Suitability to real-world business needs (not just adding numbers or
checking stocks!)
*	Cover both synchronous and asynchronous message exchange patterns

*	Define components that can ensure reliable messaging.

*	Define components that guarantee secure and auditable/nonrepudiable
messaging
*	Support work flow  (== orchestration?) definition  [not sure if this
is an absolute requirement for v 1.0)

Finally, "what is a web service".  FWIW, I typed that string (and some
variants) into Google and got the following useful URLs:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/02/12/webservicefaqs.html
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/webservices/2002/02/12/webservicefaqs.html>

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/04/04/webservices/
<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/04/04/webservices/>
http://www.gotdotnet.com/playground/services/
<http://www.gotdotnet.com/playground/services/>
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2847589,00.html
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2847589,00.html>
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/03/12/010312hnwebserv.xml
<http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/03/12/010312hnwebserv.xml>
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/articles/cp0901/cp0901-1/waws.asp
<http://www.devx.com/dotnet/articles/cp0901/cp0901-1/waws.asp>

My best shot at a "strawman" definition that is consistent with the goals
and meta-goals I described above is:

"A web service is is a software application or component that can be
accessed over the Internet using a vendor/platform/language-neutral data
interchange format to invoke the service and supply the response, using a
rigorously defined message exchange pattern, and producing a result that is
sufficiently well-defined to be processed by a software application."

Some discussion points for this definition:

"Web" in my mind implies HTTP; I would assert that a 'web service' could be
accessed via BEEP, SMTP, raw sockets, UDP, or any other protocol that uses
IP as an underpinning.  So, "web services" are really "internet services"
IMHO.

I'd be happy to put substitute "XML" for "a vendor/platform/language-neutral
data interchange format" , but I'm not at all sure that XML is *really* a
requirement for what we're doing.  My thought is that SOAP 1.2 is defined on
the XML InfoSet rather than syntax and some other format that can map to the
infoset (e.g., a URI-encoded string representing an infoset) could in
principle be used.  I'm not sure we want to split this hair, and "XML" is
obviously a good shorthand for "some syntax that can be mapped into the XML
Infoset".

I don't currently believe that SOAP is integral to the *definition* of a web
service, but I might be persuaded otherwise ...

The "result that is sufficiently well-defined" bit is an attempt to
distinguish a 'web service' from any random page on the Web.

I have avoided the whole issue of discovery; as far as I can see a "web
service" that is only discovered by human interaction is still a "web
service."  That doesn't mean we shouldn't address discovery in the
architecture ...

I avoided the security/reliability issues in the definition; an insecure web
service over an unreliable protocol is still a 'web service", albeit a lousy
one.

Again, this is a strawman definition, whack away!