RE: Web Services Architecture Requirements 23 April 2002

Comment 1 - The folding of D-AC0017 (providing EDI-like function) into
D-AG0005 (Scalability and Extensibility) is fine with me.  One little
quibble, or perhaps question ... Is it really appropriate to keep saying
"must" in D-AC0017?  I think that these success factors are important, but
somehow "must" seems a bit over the top to me.  I guess my personal feeling
is that if, for some weird reason, one of these objectives turned out to be
very difficult or incompatible with some other objective -- well, I would be
surprised and disappointed, but I wouldn't then say that web services are
useless.  Would "should" be more appropriate?  And finally, would it make
sense to further fold D-AC0017 into D-AC0003?

Comment 2 - The folding of D-AC0005 (simplicity, barriers to entry) into
D-AG0005 (Scalability and Extensibility) seems a bit unnatural to me.  It
seems to me that simplicity is a goal on the same level as scalability and
extensibility, and that it is not a part of either.  In fact, if anything I
would say that "extensibility" is a subset (or dimension) of "scalability".
Perhaps the identification of simplicity as part of scalibility comes from
the F2F, and there was some discussion there that made this make sense to
people.  Not having heard that discussion, however, it seems odd to me.
Now, if you had folded simplicity into D-AG0003 (Web-friendly) it would have
made a lot more sense to me.  Isn't simplicity one of the grand traditions
of the web?  Or, if not that, D-AG0006 (Team Goals - meeting the needs of
the web community)?