W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > October 2003

MINUTES: Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group

From: Smith, Michael K <michael.smith@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:13:25 -0600
Message-ID: <2928D6FE55D5584390909578CAC8397D04153972@usplm216.txpln.us.eds.com>
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

MINUTES: Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group
Oct 30, 2003, 1200 (East US), 0900 (West US). 1700 (London)

IRC Chat: irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665), #webont

Chair: Schreiber
Scribe: Mike Smith

1.0 Admin

Role Call

Present: Dan Connolly, Guus Schreiber, Deb McGuinness, Charles White,
Ian Horrocks, Jeremy Carroll, Evan Wallace, Mike Smith, Shawn Bechhofer,
Mike Dean, Chris Welty, Jos DeRoo, Herman ter Horst, Sandro Hawke.

Regrets: Hendler, Sabbouh, Heflin

Next Call
November 13 2003
Chair: Hendler
Scribe: TBD

Approve as minutes of Oct 9 meeting
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0113.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0113.html> 
ACCEPTED


2.0 Approvals and Action Item Summary.

APPROVED
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approve tests cases as described in 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html> 
Note that Thing-001 is not part of this proposal.
APPROVED by consensus

B.2 Datatype triple proposal in 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 
APPROVED by consensus.

B.1 URIs as annotations.  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 
URI's used as object of annotation property do not need to be typed.
APPROVED by consensus.

4.2 Proposed change to OWL DL Semantics (Ian)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html> 
Thing must be non-empty.
APPROVED by consensus.  Jeremy Carroll abstained.

RDF Concepts document.  Reviewed by Jim Hendler.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html> 
Proposal to submit to RDF
APPROVED by consensus
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DONE:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTION Jim: review LC2 RDF Concepts
ACTION MikeD: see whether DAML can provide some support for OWL
       outreach DAML PI meeting discussed open source sem web site
       focused on tools. Ontology library as part?
ACTION jjc: update test spec with approvals
ACTION IanH: to write up proposal/rationale for change in
       semantics of ontology consistency
ACTION jjc: Update tests Ontology-002, Ontology-003
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTINUED:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTION DanC: turn Ian's reviews into test cases
ACTION Guus: review LC2 RDF schema when it comes
ACTION Herman: to review RDF semantics doc
ACTION jimH: ask mindswap for review of Sean's doc
ACTION guus: ask peter for review of Shawn B. document.
ACTION jjc: review sean's document
ACTION Guus: see whether ontoweb can provide some support for OWL outreach
ACTION ChrisW: to write up draft of working group position on OMG
       ontology metamodel definition in general and on OKBC in particular
ACTION Guus: to comment on naturalness of mapping from OWL to UML
ACTION Jos: make additional query-style tests
ACTION JimH: to reply to comment on allDisjoint 
ACTION Sandro: Report reasoning status re useful subsets of OWLFull 
ACTION Jeremy: to talk to Jena team about Full subset implementations
ACTION Jim: to talk to Pellet team about Full subset implementations
ACTION DanC: arrange for redirect (of old versions of Guide)
ACTION Guus: to send reply to Brickley's owl:Class/rdfs:Class comment
ACTION Jeremy: to add a new test that highlights one of the issues in
       message
       http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0001> 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTION Jeremy C: will update test doc accordingly.
ACTION Jeremy C: to send email re precise change to S&AS.
ACTION Ian H: Modify S&AS re B.2, Datatype triples.
ACTION Mike Smith: Update Issue 5.26.
ACTION Jeremy C: Change Annotation-Proprety-003.
ACTION Ian H: Modify S&AS (section 3 and 5), Thing non-empty.
ACTION Jeremy C: Clone Test Thing-001.
ACTION Guus to complete review of RDF Schema and send post Mike D. review
ACTION Mike Dean to check review of RDF Schema.
ACTION Guus S.  Put coordination of RDF/OWL publication citations on agenda 
       of semantic web coordination group.
ACTION Sean to format his document according to W3C.
ACTION Guus - Initiate discussion of what we expect of an ontology
       library/directory at a W3C site.
------------------------------------------------------------------------


3. TEST CASES

Approv tests cases -
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0157.html> 
Note that Thing-001 is not part of this proposal.
Resolved by consensus

NEW ACTION Jeremy will update test doc accordingly.


4. SEMANTICS ISSUES

4.1 the resolution to untyped URIs (Jeremy)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0153.html> 

Peter and Jeremy agree re user defined URI and typed literal (see test
I5.8-016).  Test reports mixed.  

B.2 datatypes in message 0153 - Datatype triples 
Proposal in message 0153
APPROVED by consensus.

NEW ACTION Jeremy C. to send email re precise change to S&AS.
NEW ACTION Ian H. Modify S&AS.

B.1 in message 0153 - URIs as annotations.  Should be easy, should not
have to type object.  (I.e. less restrictive than Issue 5.26).  Test
case Annotation-Property-003 (should be Lite).
URI's used as object of annotation property to not need to be typed.
APPROVED by consensus.

NEW ACTION Mike Smith. Update Issue 5.26.
NEW ACTION Jeremy C. Change Annotation-Proprety-003.

4.2 Proposed change to OWL DL Semantics (Ian)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0167.html> 

Require that the extension of Thing be non-empty.  Lines up much
better with standard usage (FOL and DL).

Proposal of 0167
APPROVED by consensus.  Jeremy Carroll. abstain.

NEW ACTION Ian H. Modify S&AS (section 3 and 5).
NEW ACTION Jeremy C. Clone Test Thing-001.


5. RDF CORE REVIEW

RDF Semantics Doc. review by ter Horst partially complete.  
Will be complete by next week.

RDF Concepts document.  Reviewed by Jim Hendler.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Oct/0172.html> 

Proposal to submit.
APPROVED by consensus

RDF Schema review.  
NEW ACTION Guus to complete review and send post Mike D. review
NEW ACTION Mike Dean to check review.

Discussion.

Dan C.  How do we update RDF citatations in editors documents?
Consensus seems to be to publish 2-7 days after RDF, with a
simultaneous announcement.  Be prepared to update to the RDF last call
documents.

NEW ACTION Guus S.  Put on agenda of semantic web coordination group.

6. WG Technical report
   Sean's Document

NEW ACTION Sean to format according to W3C.

Expect approval of publicaton at Nov 27 meeting.
With publication expected after moratoriam, Nov 30.

7. QA review

QA Group asked for review of their documents (Operational Guidelines)
with emphasis on their checklists re working groups document
production.  See Jeremy's msg of 9/12.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0126.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Sep/0126.html> 

ACTION Evan W. and Jeremy C.  Do review per Jeremy's msg.
Continued.  Expect completion by Nov 27.


8. Outreach

Guus S. - Organized meeting at ISWC lunch.  Everyone mentioned OWL.
ISWC had more people than expected (450).

Semantic Web Challenge. 10 submissions.  Light weight ontologies, with
large vocabularies.  FrameNet (WordNet related) -> OWL.

Semantic Web Coord. Group - asked Guus for proposal for new WG on Sem.
Web Best Practices.

NEW ACTION Guus - Initiate discussion of what we expect of an ontology
library/directory at a W3C site.

Chris W. - Begun part whole ontology Wiki.  Will send pointer to WG.

Ontoweb special interest group.  Organized by Frank VanH.  

Mike D. - DAML PI - Mark Greaves.  Plans an updated web site with
focus on open source tools.  'OWL Forge'.  Timeline - up by beginning
of 2004.  Persistence to be determined.  (Sandro - W3C talking to Mark
Greaves re coordination.)


9. AOB
Received on Thursday, 30 October 2003 14:13:55 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:02 GMT