Re: Analyzing OWL problems in some projects

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:31:49 -0400
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

Jim Hendler wrote:

> ...We have found a number of problems of various kinds, but one that
> seems to come up a lot is people using owl:subclassOf, owl:range, and
> owl:domain -- I'm not sure if we have a test that actually exposes
> these -- might be worth creating some to make it more obvious

These sorts of typos are best caught by syntactic validators i.e. XML
schemas --- the problem is that there isn't one for OWL. Would it be
helpful to extend the RELAXNG schema for RDF/XML to prevent "extending
the OWL namespace"? or else are we happy to prevent a small subset of
potentially infinite class of errors of this type. e.g. owl:rng
owl:range owl:renge ...

It is relatively easy specify *all* the illegal names at the XML
validation level by the pattern:

owl:* - (owl:Class|owl:Thing|owl:Restriction ...)

Jonathan