Analyzing OWL problems in some projects

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:40:43 -0400
To: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

WOWGers-
  We have been debugging some problems with ontologies created both by
students in my research group, by some well-known researchers using
OWL, and from some stuff we found in various places around the web.
We have found a number of problems of various kinds, but one that
seems to come up a lot is people using owl:subclassOf, owl:range, and
owl:domain -- I'm not sure if we have a test that actually exposes
these -- might be worth creating some to make it more obvious (i.e.
simple test with 2 forms, one with rdfs:subclassOf and one with
owl:subclassOf where the latter fails) -- the BBN owl validator
doesn't catch this error (bug report has been filed) so a test may be
valuable
  Might also be worth noting this for our forthcoming best practices document..
  -JH
p.s. Our issues list is clear, and our documents make it clear --
however, the problem is occuring in practice so we might want to make
it easier for people to see it is an error

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***