W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > March 2003

WOWG: Telecon Minutes 27 March 2003

From: Nick Gibbins <nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:40:36 +0000
Message-ID: <16004.31492.260298.519392@localhost.localdomain>
To: WebOnt Working Group <www-webont-wg@w3.org>


WEB ONTOLOGY WORKING GROUP
27 March 2003

Chair: Hendler
Scribe: Nick Gibbins

Agenda at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0207.html
IRC log at http://www.w3.org/2003/03/27-webont-irc

0) Executive Summary

ACTION: DanC request review by internationalisation board of decision
	on datatypes. - CONTINUED

ACTION: chairs to include discussion of presentation syntax in next
	telecon. - CONTINUED

ACTION: Patel-Schneider to work on proof for issue 5.26 B1,B2

RESOLVED to close issue 5.26, accepting	all the points from the
	original document except B1,B2 

ACTION: Jeff Heflin to add reference section to requirements document

RESOLVED by consensus to move ALL of our documents (except Test) 
        to Last Call

ACTION: Hendler to produce Last Call Memo

ACTION: chairs to send email to WG discussing handling of LC comments

1) ADMIN (10 min)

1.1 Roll call

Present:

Mike Dean		BBN
Jos De Roo		Agfa-Gevaert N. V.
michael smith		Electronic Data System (EDS)
Raphael Volz		Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI)
Jeremy Carroll		Hewlett Packard Company
Masahiro Hori		IBM Corporation
Guus Schreiber		Ibrow
Jérôme Euzenat		Institut National de Recherche en Informatique
			et en Automatique (INRIA) 
Peter Patel-Schneider	Lucent Technologies
James Hendler		Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab
			at the University of Maryland 
Dan Connolly		Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Massimo Marchiori	Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Leo Obrst		MITRE Corporation
Marwan Sabbouh		MITRE Corporation
Sean Bechhofer		Network Inference
Ian Horrocks		Network Inference
Yasser alSafadi		Philips Electronic N.V.
Herman ter Horst	Philips Electronic N.V.
Ziv Hellman		Unicorn Solutions Inc.
Lynne R. Thompson	Unisys Corporation
David De Roure		University of Southampton
Nicholas Gibbins	University of Southampton

Regrets:

Jonathan Borden
Ruediger Klein		Daimler Chrysler Research and Technology
John Stanton		Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)
Jonathan Dale		Fujitsu Limited
Jeff Heflin		Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Evan Wallace		National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Ora Lassila		Nokia
Deborah McGuinness	Stanford University

Excused:

Noboru Shimizu		Interoperability Technology Association for
			Information Processing, Japan 

1.2 Minutes previous telecon

Proposal 

RESOLVED to accept as a true record of the March 20, 2003 telcon:
	 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0132.html
	 with amendment by Connolly:
	 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0154.html

1.3 Agenda amendments

None

1.4 Telecon schedule

- next telecon:  April 3
- Chair: Hendler
- scribe for April 3: Carroll

1.5 General Action Review
        
ACTION: DanC request review by internationalisation board of decision
	on datatypes.

	CONTINUED

ACTION: chairs to include discussion of presentation syntax in next
	telecon. 

	CONTINUED

2.0  Reopening of Issue 5.26 (10 minutes)
Discussion of Jeremy's proposal re: B1 and B2
see message
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0197.html
and the messages linked from there.

jjc: objections summarised in
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Mar/0192.html
pfps: nothing new to add
danc: is this aspect of 5.26 is represented in the test spec yet?
seanb: testcases for structure-sharing would be useful
jimh: two choices: 1. approve B1/B2, wait for proof later. disproof
      would mean design change
jimh: choice 2. incorrect implementations

STRAW POLL: adopting structure sharing seems to cause a risk that a
        proof be hard to find, not adopting structure sharing seems to
	have conformance risks
(poll yielded several for adopting structure sharing, one against)

pfps: tricky to fix document at later date (if disproof)
guus: this is design change of language - is it really something we
      can push in at a later point?
jimh: not hard to fix things (addition/removal of B1/B2) during LC
      period
jimh: pfps, could you get us a proof by end of LC?
pfps: yes, can spend the time
jjc: better not to go in before LC (and then add during LC)

ACTION: Patel-Schneider to work on proof for issue 5.26 B1/B2

RESOLVED to close issue 5.26, accepting all the points from the
        original document except B1,B2

        (Carroll objects, Connolly, Obrst and De Roo abstain)

3.0  (60 min)  LAST CALL DECISION

3.1 Review of Document Related Actions:

ACTION: pfps, jos, smith, guus to update documents to reflect
	decision on datatypes

	COMPLETED

ACTION: JimH to write MikeS to insert in guide some words about
	security and privacy issues

	COMPLETED

ACTION: Chairs to contact JeffH to add ref section to req doc

	COMPLETED

ACTION: Jeff Heflin to add reference section to requirements document


ACTION: DanC - will investigate question of adding to allDifferent
	list. No reply by next Tuesday (25/3) means that it is up to
	editor to do what he likes

	COMPLETED

ACTION: JimH review of reference doc

	COMPLETED

ACTION: pfps, Jos to add broken RDF datatype test to test suite

	COMPLETED

ACTION: JimH to report to coordination group on model theory issue

	COMPLETED

ACTION: GuusS to update ref to reflect deprecated class being subclass
	of RDFS class and not OWL class

	COMPLETED

ACTION: pfps to review (at least) section 8 of Ref doc.

	COMPLETED

3.2 Review of Document Status

3.2.1 Requirements

Web Ontology Language (OWL) Use Cases and Requirements
http://www.cse.lehigh.edu/~heflin/webont/reqdoc/index.html
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:28:51 GMT
md5sum 88aa805134ea739a95ae62a72c89bd50

Ready for Last Call
Changes from Heflin (wrt references) agreed with Connolly are acceptable

3.2.2 Overview

OWL Web Ontology Language Overview
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/webont/OWLOverview.htm
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:04:49 GMT
md5sum a2040620555c3e3e836a85447feab61e

Ready for Last Call

3.2.3 Guide

OWL Web Ontology Language Guide
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/guide-src/Guide.html
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:31:51 GMT
md5sum 0534c788afb352b2b78123e4dcadd1b8
NOTE: wine.owl and food.owl also

Ready for Last Call

3.2.4 Reference

OWL Web Ontology Language
http://www.daml.org/2002/06/webont/owl-ref-proposed
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:08:36 GMT

Ready for Last Call
Connolly and Dean to merge changes (only item in critical path)

3.2.5 Test

jjc: still some work to do re: datatypes (jos's action from last week)
jjc: danc's outstanding request for multi-doc tests in todo section of
     document - in progress 
DanC: publish text only, link to tests?
JosD: not really acceptable, happy with doc as it stands
DanC: propose to publish whatever jjc gives me (by a date in
      consultation with jjc) 
jjc: publish test as WD at same time as LC for other docs, publish
     test as LC later 
[...discussion of delay in LC release of test after other LC releases...]
jjc: we should release a WD now with a note saying that we ask for
     implementor feedback 

3.2.6 S&AS

http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/semantics/semantics-all.html
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:14:11 GMT

jjc: OntologyProperty issue with AS&S
jjc: could be addressed during LC
DanC: the WG hasn't made any decision on this. jjc's editorial
      suggestion hasn't been adopted by the editor 

Ready for Last Call
Connolly and Patel-Schneider to put words not exclusive to datatypes
into S&AS to reflect relationship to RDF LC senamtics document

3.3 LAST CALL RESOLUTION
Discussion of proposed resolution:

RESOLVED by consensus to move ALL of our documents (except Test) 
        to Last Call

	(Patel-Schneider abstains, proxies in favour for Borden, Dale,
	Wallace, Heflin and McGuinness)

3.4 (dependent on 3.3)
    dates suggested by Coordination Group -- Last Call open through May 5 2003
   Last Call Memo - Hendler update to group  (ACTION Hendler to produce?)

SWCG proposed 9 May 2003 as end of Last Call period (five weeks)

ACTION: Hendler to produce Last Call Memo

4.0 Raucous Celebration or Much Wailing and Gnashing of  Teeth
    (dependent on outcome of 3.0) 2 minutes

COMPLETED

5) AOB (0-5 min)

5.1 Summary of Outstanding Issues

Closed over objections:

        5.6 daml:imports as magic syntax
	5.26 OWL DL Syntax

No objector listed for 5.17 XML presentation syntax - treat as abstention

5.2 Handling of Last Call comments

pfps: RDF Core handling of LC comments not useful (splitting messages
      into separate issues) 
DanC: after LC, until you hear from the chairs, do not respond on
      behalf of the WG 
DanC: feel free to respond *explicitly not on behalf of the WG*

ACTION: chairs to send email to WG discussing handling of LC comments

5.3 Thanks

Chairs and W3C Team Rep thank WG participants for their efforts.


-- 
Nick Gibbins                                            nmg@ecs.soton.ac.uk
IAM (Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia)             tel: +44 (0) 23 80598347
Electronics and Computer Science                   fax: +44 (0) 23 80592865
University of Southampton
Received on Friday, 28 March 2003 11:40:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:58 GMT