W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > June 2003

Minutes of June 12 Telecon

From: Charles White <Charles.White@networkinference.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:29:50 +0100
Message-ID: <3BE4D3F0FB726240966DEF40418472B507132D@ni-lon-server1.ad.networkinference.com>
To: "Webont WG" <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

This being my first set of minutes for WebOnt, I apologize in advance
for any descrepancies, name misspellings, etc..

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Guus Schreiber [mailto:schreiber@cs.vu.nl]
> Sent: 12 June 2003 04:24
> To: WebOnt WG
> Subject: WOWG: agenda June 12 telecon (revised)
> 
> 
> 
> [- added items 3.3 (QA comments) and 3.4 (B!/B2 proof)
>   - various links added]
> 
> AGENDA  Teleconference Web Ontology Working Group
> June 12, 1200 (East US), 0900 (West US). 1700 (London)
> Duration: 60-90 min
> 
> Bridge: +1.617.761.6200 passcode 9326#.
> IRC Chat: irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665), #webont
> 
> Chair: Guus Schreiber
> Scribe: Charles White
> 
> 
> 1. Administrivia
> 
> Roll Call
Present:

Christopher Welty, IBM
Dan Connolly, W3C
Guus Schreiber, Ibrow
Sandro Hawke
Jerome Euzenat, INRIA
Evan Wallace
Ian Horrocks, Network Inference
Pat Hayes, (invited expert)
Sean Bechhofer, University of Manchester
Mike Smith, EDS
Tim Finin, Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab at the
University of Maryland
Jeff Heflin (invited expert)
Jeremy Carroll, HP
Jean-Francois Baget
Jos De Roo, AGFA
Herman ter Horst, Philips Electronics N.V.
Frank van Harmelan
Peter Patel-Schneider, Lucent Technologies
Marwan Sabbouh, MITRE
Charles White, Network Inference

> Regrets: Hendler, Wallace (probable), Deb McGuinness
> See list archive for last-minute regrets
> 
> Approve Minutes of June 5:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0050.html

Approved

> 
> Next telecon: June 19, chair Schreiber, scribe TBD

Chris Welty volunteered to scribe next meeting

> Proposed as an editor's meeting (at least one editor per LC document)
> of 90-120 minutes to go through remaining LC comments at the
> editorial/document level.

Approved

> 
> 2. Action item review
> 
> ACTION: Jim Hendler and Dan Connolly to compose a response to the
> 	LC comment on local and compound keys.
CONTINUED
> 
> ACTION: Dan Connolly publish XML syntax
CONTINUED
> 
> ACTION: Mike Smith and Guus Schreiber will review  proposed changes
>          to Guide and Reference for next telecon. (in re reference)
CONTINUED but only by Guus
> 
> ACTION: Dan Connolly to update issue list for 5.06  (in re: 
> imports closure)
>          5.20 about synonyms with the specific problem of owl:Class vs
> 	rdfs:Class
CONTINUED but add Mike Smith
> 
> ACTION: DanC to get I18N WG review of last call specs, continued
> 	from ~17 years back 1/2;-)
> Progress:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0107.html
CONTINUED - this appears to be mostly a problem for RDF
	waiting for input from RDF Core and i18N groups, but probably a
no-op for us
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy add test: {a,b} unionOf {a} {b}
CONTINUED
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy equivalentClass with 4 components and no 
> hamiltonian path
CONTINUED
> 
> 
> ACTION: PatH to follow-up to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webont-comments/200
> 3May/0003.html 
DONE
> 
> 
> ACTION: Jeremy Carroll - review proposed change to direct 
> semantics that handles annotations better.
CONTINUED
> 
> ACTION: DanC and Jeremy to review Sean's text for non-normative
> 	inclusion into some OWL document
> DONE
> 
> ACTION: Guus Schreiber - work with Sean to put appendix in Reference
DONE
> ACTION: Mike Smith - write paragraph that points to the appendix for
Guide
DONE
> ACTION: Frank - write paragraph that points to the appendix for
Overview
DONE
> 
> 
> 3. LC comments status
> 
> 
> 3.1 status of LC comments
> 
> List of LC comments by Hendler:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003May/0410.html
>
See listing at end
> 
> 
> 3.2 ISSUE 6.1: unnamed individual restrictions
>
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I6.1-UnnamedIndividu
alRestrictions

> ACTION: Jeremy to propose response to
> 	owlsas-rdfcore-bnodes-restrictions, including new issue and
proposal
> 	to postpone
> DONE:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0091.html
> 
> Rationale for postponing: the changes
> requested would minimally require a major rework of the direct
semantics of
> OWL DL. (Section 3 of S&AS).
This was raised by RDF Core - see 0091 for details
Straw poll to postpone passes
Vote to postpone passed - two abstentions - Pat and Jos - no objections
POSTPONED

> 3.3 QA comments
> 
> ACTION: Sandro Hawke, Evan Wallace - review Jeremy's review of the QA
last
> 	call so that it can be sent back as a WG review
> DONE
> Wallace:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0114.html
> Hawke:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0123.html
Some discussion - general feeling seemed to be that much of the QA
doument doesn't apply to us - feeling about the QA group is that they
think this document applies to everyone
See also
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0131.html
ACTION - Ian to discuss with Peter and generate response to QA group for
his document
ACTION - Sandro to generate response to QA group for his document
NOTE - The working group delegated all of this to the editors so this
item is DONE


> 3.4 B1/B2 proof
> 
> ACTION: Peter review proof sketch of correspondence with B1 B2
> DONE
> 
> Patel-Schneider:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0111.html
> Carroll:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jun/0112.html
CONTINUED - Can this be completed in a reasonable amount of time? Peter
and Jeremy need to talk, but Peter was not present at the meeting.


> 3.5 rdfs:Class vs owl:Class
> 
> ACTION: Frank van Harmelen write draft response for the comment on
> 	owl:Class vs rdfs:Class
> ACTION: Pat Hayes write draft response for the comment on
> 	owl:Class vs rdfs:Class
We never got to this issue.

> 4. AOB


> -- 
> Free University Amsterdam, Computer Science
> De Boelelaan 1081a, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
> E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
> Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/

========================================================================
=============================
Issues from 3.1
"First point is Get with the program folks!!! Get these responses done."
- quoted from an unknown chairperson

**** NEED ASSIGNMENT

--->  OWL WD comments (Sat, Apr 19 2003) [no reply received] - this got
missed, Guus should look at
Mike S/Frank to respond, editorial Guide/Overview

---> Language Overview Document editorial comments (Mon, Apr 21 2003)
    - No response yet from Deb/Frank
Frank to respond, editorial

---> Could owl:sameAs reference non-OWL resources? (Mon, Apr 28 2003)
      [no reply received] - no one has looked at this -- general design
issue from Vatant.
Pat to respond

---> unspecified domain,range in App. C of OWL Language Reference 31
      March 2003 (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply received]  - unanswered
Response should say that domain/range are left unspecified on purpose.
Mike Dean is asked to respond

---> OWL comment - language subsets and complexity (Fri, May 09 2003)
      [no reply received] - issue discussed, but not yet assigned
??? to respond

---> OWL comment - owl:OntologyProperty (Fri, May 09 2003) - issue
      resolved, but comment not assigned (Jeremy?)
Jeremy to respond
ACTION Guus to make Ref consistent with resolution

---> OWL Abstract Syntax and Semantics review comments (Fri, May 09 
2003) [no reply received] - Peter?
Peter to respond

---> Comments from RDFCore on S+AS (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply
      received] - discussed, but not answered - Peter?
Peter to respond

---> Another RDF Comment on the OWL Reference Doc (Fri, May 09 2003)
      Request for RDF to OWL mapping ala Sean's document - ongoing but
needs to be assigned
Sean to respond and to include restrictions on Lite,
annotation/ontology properties, an0 RDFS vocabulary in appendix

---> Comments on Owl REF document (Fri, May 09 2003) - see follow up,
      Brian only asks for response to one of these - Guus?
Comment about inconsistency: refer to S&AS and Test
Guus to respond

---> Review section 4.1 of OWL AS&S (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply
      received] - Peter?
Ian to respond

---> OWL S&AS comment - owl:Ontology mapping to/from RDF triples
      (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply received] - Note - this is mistitled
      - Peter, please look at it.
Peter responded - no reply received

---> OWL S&AS: Translation to RDF Graphs (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply
      received] - adressed by Sean's document, needs   assignment.
DanC to respond

---> daml:item (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply received] - design issue,
      ignored so far.
Respond that this is RDFCore issue
??? to respond

---> S&AS (and some general OWL Lite, CR, & implementation) comments
      (Fri, May 09 2003)
      [no reply received] several comments, mostly editorial, on
      contentive -- Peter?
Peter already responded

---> Missing AllSame (Fri, May 09 2003) [no reply received] -
      discussed, but not answered - needs assignment.
Rationale for no AllSame: linear
Guus to respond

---> Missing AllDisjoint? (Sun, May 11 2003) discussed, but needs
      assigning
DanC to respond: quote rationale from resolution on 5.21

---> Fwd: Jena comment: Syntax Checker Implementation Report] (Mon,
      May 12 2003)
      [no reply received] - this is an S&AS comment, Peter?
Did not get to this one

---> inadequate reference in Owl REF (Thu, May 15 2003) [no reply
      received] - Guus?
Did not get to this one

Charles White
Network Inference (Holdings), Ltd.
Office +1 408 395-0002
Received on Friday, 13 June 2003 11:29:57 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:01 GMT