RE: Test ontologies

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:47:24 +0100
To: "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com>
Cc: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

On July 25, Peter Crowther writes:

> > From: Ian Horrocks [mailto:horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk]
> > I converted some "interesting" ontologies to OWL:
> >
> > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/ka.owl
> > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/galen.owl
> > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/mad_cows.owl
> >
> > They have been checked with both validators and seem to be OK. The
> > first (ka.owl) is Lite, the other two are DL. "galen.owl" is (part of)
> > the well known Galen medical terminology ontology - classifying this
> > ontology should prove an interesting challenge for new reasoner
> > implementations.
>
> In particular (speaking from experience), there are some
> less-than-obvious subsumption relationships in galen.owl - and it
> doesn't even use several of the more interesting features of DL.  What
> Ian (characteristically) hasn't said is that this fragment of the Galen
> KB is something of a benchmark for DL reasoners; the fastest
> implementation of a description logic (SHF, not OWL DL) of which I am
> aware can calculate the full subsumption hierarchy of galen.owl in a
> hair under 10 seconds on a 2GHz Pentium, excluding the file load time.
>
> Ian, do you also have a list of expected subsumptions in galen.owl?  It
> would provide a useful target for DL reasoner implementations.

I have attached a dump of the taxonomy of named classes from the
ontology. It is set of lists of the form:

(class-name direct-supers direct-subs)

where class-name is the name of a class, direct-supers is a list of
its direct superclasses, and direct-subs is a list of its direct
subclasses. E.g.:

("BodySpace" ("Space" "BodyStructure") ("PericardialSpace" "OperationField" "BodyHole"))

says that the direct superclasses of "BodySpace" are "Space" and
"BodyStructure", and that the direct subclasses of "BodySpace" are
"PericardialSpace", "OperationField" and "BodyHole".

Regards, Ian