RE: Test ontologies

From: Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:36:05 +0100
To: "Ian Horrocks" <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

> From: Ian Horrocks [mailto:horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk]
> I converted some "interesting" ontologies to OWL:
>
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/ka.owl
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/galen.owl
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/OWL/Ontologies/mad_cows.owl
>
> They have been checked with both validators and seem to be OK. The
> first (ka.owl) is Lite, the other two are DL. "galen.owl" is (part of)
> the well known Galen medical terminology ontology - classifying this
> ontology should prove an interesting challenge for new reasoner
> implementations.

In particular (speaking from experience), there are some
less-than-obvious subsumption relationships in galen.owl - and it
doesn't even use several of the more interesting features of DL.  What
Ian (characteristically) hasn't said is that this fragment of the Galen
KB is something of a benchmark for DL reasoners; the fastest
implementation of a description logic (SHF, not OWL DL) of which I am
aware can calculate the full subsumption hierarchy of galen.owl in a
hair under 10 seconds on a 2GHz Pentium, excluding the file load time.

Ian, do you also have a list of expected subsumptions in galen.owl?  It
would provide a useful target for DL reasoner implementations.

		- Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Director, Melandra Limited