Annotations and non-mon example

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:52:50 +0100
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

For those who didn't follow the WG discussion, here is a quick test case
showing OWL DL annotations as non-monotonic

<owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
   <my:prop>foo</my:prop>
</owl:Thing>

DL-entails

<owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
   <my:prop>bar</my:prop>
</owl:Thing>

=========

Because, my:prop has no property declaration, and is hence treated as an
annotation, which is given no semantics in OWL DL.

=========

Adding the same information to both files breaks the entailment.
viz:

<owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="&my;prop"/>
<owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
   <my:prop>foo</my:prop>
</owl:Thing>

does not entail

<owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="&my;prop"/>
<owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
   <my:prop>bar</my:prop>
</owl:Thing>

====

because this time my:prop is treated as semantically meaningful.