Re: Annotations and non-mon example

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:43:14 -0500 (EST)
To: jjc@hpl.hp.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Annotations and non-mon example
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:52:50 +0100

> For those who didn't follow the WG discussion, here is a quick test case
> showing OWL DL annotations as non-monotonic
>

> <owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
>    <my:prop>foo</my:prop>
> </owl:Thing>
>
> DL-entails
>
> <owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
>    <my:prop>bar</my:prop>
> </owl:Thing>

In the direct semantics (after translating back to the abstract syntax)
this is an entailment, in the RDF-compatible semantics this is not an
entailment.

> =========
>
> Because, my:prop has no property declaration, and is hence treated as an
> annotation, which is given no semantics in OWL DL.
>
> =========
>
> Adding the same information to both files breaks the entailment.
> viz:
>
> <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="&my;prop"/>
> <owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
>    <my:prop>foo</my:prop>
> </owl:Thing>
>
> does not entail
>
> <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:about="&my;prop"/>
> <owl:Thing rdf:about="eg:a">
>    <my:prop>bar</my:prop>
> </owl:Thing>

In the direct semantics (after translating back to the abstract syntax)
this is not an entailment, in the RDF-compatible semantics this is not an
entailment.

*However*, in the abstract syntax this is not an addition of new
 information.  Instead, it is a *change*.  Therefore there is no
 non-monotonicity.