Re: implementability + HP last call position

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:25:46 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

>Jim
>
>I heard your ruling as chair that discussion of CR exit criteria is
>not in order yet.

I don't think I made such a ruling - I made a suggestion that barring
critical issues w/respect to implementability we should hold off

>I think that means that HP should probably abstain on the last call
>votes, but indicate a concern that the recommendation we are
>drafting is not currently implementable as is. This concern is best
>addressed with appropriate CR exit criteria and actual
>implementations of one sort or another.
>
>cf.
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Dec/0239.html
>
>I suspect there was a communication failure over the specific
>proposals I was making: you seemed to see them as unreasonable, and
>they were not intended as such, but we can have another go at that
>when such discussion is in order.

I thought them overly harsh, but notice I carefulyl refrained from
any detail - I just wanted to move towards LC without derailing
unless something serious arose

>You also indicated that you believed we would have DL reasoners as
>part of our implementation report. I think HP's objection would
>substantially be met by one or two DL reasoners which could in some
>sense be called complete (e.g. the implementors believe them to be,
>and they pass all the DL test cases) and practical (in the Horrocks'
>sense of the word).

I agree, I also think it possible for someone to build a Lite
implementation from scratch in a short order of time, but it would be
a tableaux reasoner, and I am very aware of the issue that if this is
the only way to do it, is Lite enough different from DL to be worth
separating - and that I don't know how to address in CR/PR criteria

>So I hope that an abstention at this stage, combined with a last
>call comment by the HP team as to what we would be expecting to see
>as part of the implementation report, would be sufficient to permit
>us to raise a formal objection at say, the transition to PR, without
>surprising anyone.
>
>In this light I withdraw my message:
>"Entailments and normativity"
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jan/0330.html
>
>still believing that it expresses a way of correctly setting user
>expectations, but prepared to be compelled by the evidence in our
>implementation report.

OK, that's understandable, and I do hope we will discuss the issues
you raise in [1], because I do think they are important to getting
things right before LC.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jan/0364.html

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler