Re: owl:Class in class expressions - substantive

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> This msg proposes a substantive change in the mapping rules.
> I will make later comments of a more editorial/bug-fixing nature.
>
> The focus is on class expressions e.g. a unionOf.
>
> With the current mapping rules the following is an OWL DL document (modulo
> declarations etc)
>
> DocA
> ====
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="u">
>    <owl:sameClassAs>
>      <rdf:Description>
>        <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
>            <owl:Class rdf:ID="a"/>
>            <owl:Class rdf:ID="b"/>
>        </owl:unionOf>
>       </rdf:Description>
>     </owl:sameClassAs>
> </owl:Class>
>

> The following, which I believe better follows standard DAML+OIL idiom, is
> not:
>
> DocB
> ====
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="u">
>    <owl:sameClassAs>
>      <owl:Class>
>        <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
>            <owl:Class rdf:ID="a"/>
>            <owl:Class rdf:ID="b"/>
>        </owl:unionOf>
>       </owl:Class>
>     </owl:sameClassAs>
> </owl:Class>

The DocB type of OWL examples are all over Guide and Ref, so yes, the
mapping rules should cover them.

> The relevant mapping rule is:
>
> unionOf(description1 … descriptionn)
>
> =>
>
> _:x owl:unionOf T(SEQ description1…descriptionn) .
>

> Three options are:
> A) leave us as
> B) change to
>
> unionOf(description1 … descriptionn)
>
> =>
>
> _:x owl:unionOf T(SEQ description1…descriptionn) .
> _:x rdf:type owl:Class .
>
> C) add above rule as an alternative

Options B & C are acceptable to me, with a preference for B as this
seems the least work.

Guus

--
A. Th. Schreiber, SWI, University of Amsterdam,
http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/usr/Schreiber/home.html