owl:Class in class expressions - substantive

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:40:01 +0100
To: <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

This msg proposes a substantive change in the mapping rules.
I will make later comments of a more editorial/bug-fixing nature.

The focus is on class expressions e.g. a unionOf.

With the current mapping rules the following is an OWL DL document (modulo
declarations etc)

DocA
====
<owl:Class rdf:ID="u">
   <owl:sameClassAs>
     <rdf:Description>
       <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
           <owl:Class rdf:ID="a"/>
           <owl:Class rdf:ID="b"/>
       </owl:unionOf>
      </rdf:Description>
    </owl:sameClassAs>
</owl:Class>

The following, which I believe better follows standard DAML+OIL idiom, is
not:

DocB
====
<owl:Class rdf:ID="u">
   <owl:sameClassAs>
     <owl:Class>
       <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
           <owl:Class rdf:ID="a"/>
           <owl:Class rdf:ID="b"/>
       </owl:unionOf>
      </owl:Class>
    </owl:sameClassAs>
</owl:Class>

The relevant mapping rule is:

unionOf(description1 … descriptionn)

=>

_:x owl:unionOf T(SEQ description1…descriptionn) .

Three options are:
A) leave us as
B) change to

unionOf(description1 … descriptionn)

=>

_:x owl:unionOf T(SEQ description1…descriptionn) .
_:x rdf:type owl:Class .

C) add above rule as an alternative

Effect

A) DocA is OWL DL, DocB is OWL Full
B) DocB is OWL DL, DocA is OWL Full
C) both DocA and DocB are OWL DL

I argue that (B) has the additional advantage of being easier to articulate,
e.g.:
  "Within OWL Lite and OWL DL all nodes must have a type."

So I propose B, and similarly for the other class expression rules.
(Issuette what type should a datarange have?)