Re: AS & S review

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:53:14 -0500 (EST)
To: Ziv.Hellman@unicorn.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

From: "Ziv Hellman" <Ziv.Hellman@unicorn.com>
Subject: AS & S review
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:39:51 +0200

> My impressions:
>

> 1. Localization needs to be explained more fully and far earlier than its
> appearance somewhere in the appendices. The distinction between
> localization requirements between DL and Full must be more clearly
> expressed.

There is already a bit in rdfs.html about localization.  I made an anchor
and linked the example back to that.

> 2. The fact that 'lists of lists' are forbidden in DL but permitted in Full
> was only explained to me at the Manchester ftf. I imagine others reading
> this document may have missed this as well. It should be noted, with a full
> explanation as to why, in AS&S.

There are very many things of this variety.  The general principles are
given in AS&S.  I believe that AS&S is not the place to enumerate these
things, and, specifically, it is not the place to mention just a few of
them.   If this belongs anywhere, it belongs in Guide.

> 3. What does 'annotation' mean in the context of OWL, and what are the
> differences between annotations in DL and Full? Are parsers set to
> Lite/DL/Full compliance expected to assume certain nodes are annotation or
> not?

Annotation is a bit of the abstract syntax that can be used for the
ontology annotations, etc., that were recently added to OWL.  They are
fully handled in AS&S.  A detailed treatment of this subject is contained
in Section 4.2.

> 4. Am I misreading the following bit from Appendix B?
>
> John rdf:type _:x .
> _:y owl:onProperty friend .
> _:y owl:allValuesFrom _:y .
>

> Is the _:x supposed to be there, or is a _:y intended?

It should be

John rdf:type _:y .

Thanks for noticing.  I've made the fix.