Re: AS & S cannot be viewed/printed with Internet Explorer 6.0

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:42:48 -0500 (EST)
To: herman.ter.horst@philips.com
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

From: herman.ter.horst@philips.com
Subject: AS & S cannot be viewed/printed with Internet Explorer 6.0
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:08:07 +0100

> The Abstract Syntax and Semantics document does not print properly
> with IE 6.0.  On the screen as well as on paper, I get very many
> squares where various mathematical symbols are meant.
>
> I can print view and print the document correctly with Mozilla,
> so it is not a problem with fonts on my PC.
> Several PCs in my neighborhood have the same problem.
>
> In particular the elementOf and union symbols do not work
> properly.  The intersection symbol views/prints correctly.
>
> Can other people look whether they have the same problem?
> It seems to be undesirable to have such a problem with the
> last call-published version of the Semantics document.

I am unwilling to make changes to the document to support a browser that
does not work correctly unless the changes do not detract significantly
from the document.  Removing even just the mathematical symbols explicitly
mentioned here would be, in my view, a significant degradation.

Of course if someone can come up with an easily-applied fix to allow
viewing by IE that does not make the document impossible to edit, I'll
apply it to the document.

I note that the RDF MT document is likely to suffer from the same problems.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies