Re: ISSUE: annotations

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:44:20 +0000
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org

I propose that OWL users wanting to annotate their ontologies with no
formal semantic entailments be recommended to use XML Comments.

I propose that annotations within the RDF graph in OWL Lite and OWL DL be
given the same formal semantic force as in RDFS.

A way that this can be done is articulated in [1] (under heading "OWL
Lite/DL Entailment between RDF/XML documents").

I propose that annotation properties be declared using an explicit type of
owl:DatatypeProperty or owl:ObjectProperty, that they be syntactically
restricted as in [1] to not interact with other aspects of the ontology,
and that the production for individual in the abstract syntax be modified
accordingly [i.e. the explicit {annotation} in the rule is no longer needed].

Jeremy

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Jan/0523.html