Re: ISSUE: annotations

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:18:52 +0000
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

On February 7, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> I propose that OWL users wanting to annotate their ontologies with no
> formal semantic entailments be recommended to use XML Comments.

Apart from any other problem, the result would inevitably be loss a
tool interoperability (see my comments in [1]).

> I propose that annotations within the RDF graph in OWL Lite and OWL DL be
> given the same formal semantic force as in RDFS.

As I said in [1], look at how comments are actually being used in
ontologies - it just doesn't make sense to try to impose RDF semantics
on natural language rubrics.

Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Feb/0113.html