W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > December 2003

Re: Draft Minutes 18th Dec 2003 - with attendence query

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:42:28 +0100
Message-ID: <3FE31C64.9000501@cs.vu.nl>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

Jeremy, thanks.
Two small edits under AOB
Guus

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> NOTE: unidentified party ??P40 joined telecon at 17:22:16 and did not leave, 
> may be "dlm" - I am not sure who that is, Deb? Might be CharlesW who is 
> recorded as leaving but not joining.
> 
> ========
> 
> 
> Chair: Guus
> Scribe: Jeremy
> Agenda:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Dec/0067
> irc log (needs access changing)
> http://www.w3.org/2003/12/18-webont-irc
> 
> 
> Summary
> =======
> 
> Decisions
> ========
>   Approve review of QA with edits agreed and editorial discretion to Evan
>   Publish Sean's document as WG note
> 
> New Actions
> ==========
> Note: action amnesty declared.
>   Evan    Send msg 0065 with edits to QA
>   jjc Propose editorial change theory to map
>   jjc expand proposal to modify 205 without Full
>  Sandro act as team contact for Sean's note
>  Jim Add annotation property to agenda for 15th January
> 
> Detail
> =====
> 
> (2 AOBs added, Sean's doc, and FYI on best practices WG)
> 
> 1.0 Admin
> 
> Role Call:
> Yasser, Guus, Mike_Dean, jjc, Ian_Horrocks, Deb_Mcguinness, Evan_Wallace, 
> HermanT, DanC, SeanB, Sandro and JimH, mike smith,  CharlesW
> 
> Regrets weren't taken, scribe notes the following from the mailing list:
> de Roo, Euzenat, Gibbins, Heflin
> 
> Next Call 15th January 2004
> (propose Guus, second Dan)
> 
> 
> 2.0 Proposed Recommendation (WOOHOO)
> OWL is a Proposed Recommendation
> 
> Thanks to Dan Connolly, Sandro Hawke.
> Also thanks to Jeremy Carroll for effort on Test.
> Thanks to all the editors.
> Whole group should feel proud.
> 
> Please encourage your AC reps to give feedback on the OWL PR and the RDF PR.
> 
> Note the AC advises the director who makes the decision.
> 
> 
> DanC gave an explanation of the PR process, this is omitted from the minutes.
> 
> (Sean's doc added as AOB)
> 3.0 Approve minutes of last call  (Nov 13)
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Nov/0064.html
> RESOLVED minutes approved
> 
> 4.0 Action review
> 
> There are no pending actions on documents
> action amnesty declared.
> (outstanding actions may be completed but are no longer required)
> 
> 5.0 Discussion of QA review
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Dec/0065.html
> part II of review is a case study for their guidelines
> Discussion of whether msg should be split into parts I,III and II
> 
> RESOLVED: Approve review of QA with edits agreed and editorial discretion to 
> Evan
> ACTION Evan Send msg 0065 with edits to QA
> 
> Lots verbally in favour, none against, none abstains
> 
> Thanks to Evan and Jeremy for review.
> 
> 
> 
> 6.0 Errata
> Discussion of if/how we can handle errata at this time.
> 
> DanC gave an explanation of the process - a few highlights.
> + the documents now belong to the director
> + we may make minor changes in editors draft but
>    - the cost is high
>    - all changes need to be carefully tracked
>    - changes should be made in response to outside comment.
>    - fixing typos is OK
> + must not cross line where someone who voted for PR is unhappy with REC
> 
> AC reps may make comments which include fixes
> AC reps can add comments after having voted
> 
> Discussion of XMLLiteral in OWL
> see thread starting with
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Nov/0132.html
> ===
> This was the major item this call.
> 
> The discussion started with many agreeing (slowly) that S&AS was the normative 
> defn of OWL and Test is subsidiary to it.
> Herman makes the point that the text of tests misc-201-204 needs to change in 
> his position (and misc-205 should be obsoleted).
> We discussed these five tests particular misc-205 see
> 
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/misc-200-xmlliteral#miscellaneous-205
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/misc-200-xmlliteral#misc-200-xmlliteral
> 
> Crucially,  if you have not added reasoning for rdf:XMLLiteral then test 205 
> comes out this way, and the four passes for this test indicate that some 
> implementors have chosen to not implement rdf:XMLLiteral (or to allow it to 
> be switched off)
> 
> 
> Hendler: if you have not added reasoning for rdf:XMLLiteral then test 205 
> comes out this way.
> 
> Herman points to D interpretations being imported in section 5 of S&AS from 
> RDF Semantics, D interpretations in RDF Semantics have rdf:XMLLiteral.
> 
> Horrocks: section 3 of S&AS definitely does not contain this condition
> 
> Herman suggested that the tests depend on section 5 countered, Carroll 
> countered by pointing that the primary link from say 
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#testConsistency is into section 3 of S&AS with 
> a secondary link into section 5 of S&AS.
> 
> Herman: if OWL DL does not support rdf:XMLLiteral then it is not a semantic 
> ext of RDFS
> 
> (Sandro and Jim made IRC comments against requiring rdf:XMLLiteral that were 
> not part of the verbal telecon)
> 
> Herman wanted to add rdf:XMLLiteral to sections 3 and 5 of S&AS and make 
> consequential editorial changes. He asserts this is merely a clarification 
> (fixing a possible misreading)
> 
> Jeremy suggested changing section 5 of S&AS as a clarification and making 
> consequential changes in test, principally that misc-205 would be a Lite only 
> test.
> 
> Jeremy also suggested that the editorial change of s/datatype theory/datatype 
> map/ in test to bring it into line with the terminology in S&AS is a good 
> one.
> 
> 
> Herman believes Carroll proposal (change to test misc-205) is better than no 
> change
> 
> Carroll noted that business arguments moved him more than technical arguments 
> in this case.
>  
> No consensus was reached.
> 
> ACTION jjc Propose editorial change theory to map
> ACTION jjc expand proposal to modify 205 without Full
> 
> (there was further discussion of dates)
> 
> 
> Discussion of annotation property
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Dec/0063.html
> (Item skipped)
> 
> ACTION Hendler Add annotation property to agenda for 15th January
> 
> 
> 7.0 AOB - Sean's Parsing OWL document
> 
> RESOLVED publishing Sean's document as WG note
> 
> (we did not use a URL the scribe understood it to be the one discussed in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003Dec/0087
> )
> ACTION Sandro act as team contact for Sean's note
> 
> Unanimous
> 
> AOB FYI
> 
> Call for discussion on charter of BP group to take places in Cannes

Rephrase: Tentative date for kickoff meeting of BP: 4-5 March at Tech 
Plenary in Cannes.

> WebOnt WG will not be meeting in Cannes

Rephrase: chairs expect Webont WG will not be meeting in Cannes.

Guus

> There will be a party for WebOnt WG members at Cannes
> 

-- 
Free University Amsterdam, Computer Science
De Boelelaan 1081a, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/
Received on Friday, 19 December 2003 10:49:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:03 GMT