Re: LANG: Moving issues 5.6 and 5.14 forward

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: LANG: Moving issues 5.6 and 5.14 forward
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:13:27 -0400

> >I don't know where Jim's information came from.
> >
> >The only restriction would be that the non-RDF stuff comes before the RDF
> >stuff, although it may even be possible to finesse that.
>
> Jim gets his information from [1] which is the grammar section of the
> RDF/XML syntax specification which states the rdf:RDF must be the
> ROOT of the RDF/XML document - as it says there
>
> >5.2 doc  root(document-element=RDF, children=list(RDF))

This says that if the entire document is RDF, then the main document node
is the rdf:RDF node.  (At least I think that this is what it says.  If not,
it is saying that the main document node is rdf:RDF and then there is a
single child nore that is also rdf:RDF.)

However, Section 5.1 says that there is an alternative start production, to
be used when the content of part of a document is known to be RDF.

>    Further, the editor of that document was in my office as I wrote
> the message, following a multihour discussion where we debated best
> way to do these things (believe it or not, I do do my homework
> Peter!).  It is possible that we have identified an incocnsistency in
> the new RDF documents - but my guess is it gets down to the issue of
> what is an XML document which has RDF in it, and what is an RDF/XML
> document (i.e. those with MIME type "application/rdf+xml" - the
> proposed type for RDF/XML).
>   I will see the editor again later today and will ask him about this
> inconsistency.

No inconsistency, just two different kinds of RDF-containing documents.