Re: LANG: Moving issues 5.6 and 5.14 forward

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:13:27 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, heflin@cse.lehigh.edu
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

>I don't know where Jim's information came from.
>The only restriction would be that the non-RDF stuff comes before the RDF
>stuff, although it may even be possible to finesse that.

Jim gets his information from [1] which is the grammar section of the
RDF/XML syntax specification which states the rdf:RDF must be the
ROOT of the RDF/XML document - as it says there

>5.2 doc  root(document-element=RDF, children=list(RDF))

   Further, the editor of that document was in my office as I wrote
the message, following a multihour discussion where we debated best
way to do these things (believe it or not, I do do my homework
Peter!).  It is possible that we have identified an incocnsistency in
the new RDF documents - but my guess is it gets down to the issue of
what is an XML document which has RDF in it, and what is an RDF/XML
document (i.e. those with MIME type "application/rdf+xml" - the
proposed type for RDF/XML).
  I will see the editor again later today and will ask him about this