W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-webont-wg@w3.org > November 2002

WOWG: agenda/logistics Nov 21 telecon

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:51:59 +0100
Message-ID: <3DDBAF9F.5090608@swi.psy.uva.nl>
To: WebOnt WG <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

WEB ONTOLOGY WORKING GROUP
AGENDA/LOGISTICS
November 21, 2002

1200 US East Coast
0900 US West Coast
1700 London
0200 Tokyo (next day)


Duration: 90 minutes

PHONE INFORMATION
To use Zakim:
Dial +1.617.761.6200
At the "enter your passcode followed by the pound key" message,
enter 9326#.
Note: When you join the telecon please state your name

CHAT INFO
Simultaneous IRC Chat
irc:irc.w3.org (port 6665)
#webont

Chair: 
Guus Schreiber
Scribe: 
Jim Hendler


1) ADMIN (15 min)


1.1 Role Call

Regrets: Connolly, Marchiori, Obrst, Wallace


1.2 Approval of Minutes of Nov 14 call

PROPOSED to resolve the following as a true record of the Nov 14
telecon (Dan's update of the minutes):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0202.html
Amendments:
- add McGuinness to regrets list
- action Carroll under Issue 4.3 should read:
   "ACTION: Jeremy fwd notes about RDF datatyping to WG"


1.3 Agenda Amendments


1.4   Telecon Schedule

No telecon on Nov 28
(Americans thanking that Europeans came to their continent).

Next telecon: December 5
(Dutch "Sinterklaas" eve, ancestor of Santa Claus).

Scribe:   TBD


1.5  Upcoming F2F Meetings

Short update, if needed


1.6 Reminder: Web Ontology Working Group Extension

[from Nov 14 telecon]

IMPORTANT - all WOWG members are required to "reup" - make sure your
AC member signs you back up.  Contact me and Guus if there are
problems
AC members must read and reply to:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2002OctDec/0031.html


2) OWL name (5 min)

Decision of Jan 3:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0212.html

Chair's decision to revisit Jan 3 decision:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0213.html

PROPOSAL to resolve this naming issue as follows:
We call our language "the Web Ontology Language OWL".
Rationale:
- "Web Ontology Language" is a much better term
   than "Ontology Web Language"
- the WDs have used the name "The Web Ontology Language OWL"
   for some time now and no serious objections have been recorded
- those wanting a rationale for the relation between the full name and the
   acronym may be referred to Winnie the Pooh:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Sep/0301.html


2. ISSUES (60 min)

Link to issues list:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html


2.1  Pending updates:

ISSUE 5.5; Resolved at Nov 14 telecon
ISSUE 5.6: resolved at Nov 14 telecon
ISSUE 5.7: should be marked as "POSTPONED"
ISSUE 5.19: should be marked as OPEN (see this agenda)

2.2 ACTIONS wrt. resolved issues

ACTION Chris Welty will work on getting "The meaning of
owl:ontology" explained better in Guide, other editors will see
if their documents need changing (not obvious they do).

ACTION Jeremy to generate test Cases for 5.5. List Syntax or Semantics

ACTION Jeff Heflin will produce test cases for owl:imports
See also message from Jeremy Carroll:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0228.html

ACTION DanC to provide wording
[Concerns Issue 5.9 - malformed D+O restrictions (closed)
Dan would like to amend the proposal with some clear instructions to the
guide that says "Don't do that".  Dan was actioned to write up a few
sentences for the guide.]


3.2 OPEN issues


** Issue 4.3 - Structured Datatypes

Proposal from Jonathan Borden.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0037.html

ACTION: Jeremy fwd notes about RDF datatyping to WG.
Done. See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0223.html


** Issue 5.14 - Ontology versioning

Jeff's proposal to close:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0232.html


** Issue 5.19 - Classes as Instances

Status: WG is prepared to close this issue iff wording in GUIDE
improves. See Dan's message:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0189.html
plus follow-up thread

ACTION: Guus will write proposed wording changes for GUIDE and will
write a message proposing the official closing of this issue.


** Issue 15.24 if or iff properties

Jeremy's proposal to close:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0225.html
plus follow-up thread


** Issue 5.8 - datatypes

See also Jeremy's summary of RDF datatyping:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Nov/0223.html


** Issue 5.13 - Internet media type for OWL

** Issue 5.17 - XML presentation syntax

** Issue 5.18 - Unique names assumption

ACTION:  Dan Connolly to write up the 'all different' proposal for Issue
5.18.

** Issue 15.23: add hasValue to Owl Lite


4) DOCUMENT STATUS (5-10 min)

ACTION: Jim H to contact Web Services Desc, soliciting feedback on OWL
WDs.


** OWL reference
Updated version has been published:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-owl-ref-20021112/


** Feature synopsis
ACTION Deb M: publish synopsis"
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/ftf4#recap


ACTION: chairs and team contact will think about how to proceed
wrt. UML/XML presentation syntax doc status (Technical Note or
non-normative appendix).


** UML Syntax Appendix
Action Guus: update and redistribute



5) AOB (0-5 min.)
-- 
A. Th. Schreiber, SWI, University of Amsterdam,
http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/usr/Schreiber/home.html
Received on Wednesday, 20 November 2002 10:53:44 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:57:55 GMT