Re: Web Ontology Language (OWL)?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 15 Nov 2002 12:42:19 -0600
To: Leo Obrst <lobrst@mitre.org>
Cc: W3C Web Ontology WG <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 12:20, Leo Obrst wrote:
> Many of our documents have the title: "Web Ontology Language (OWL) ...".
> Did we make a decision to NOT expand the acronym correctly?

I thought we decided that was the correct expansion,
or that we delegated to the editors or some such,
but upon review of the records, I'm compelled to
agree: the published WDs conflict with our
decision record:

"RESOLVED: We will call the language OWL (Ontology
Web Language)"
 -- Minutes 3rd January 2002

("How did he find that?" you might ask; well, I remembered
we talked about the name at the 1st ftf; so I
went to the history section of the WG homepage
and reviewed the records of the Jan 2002 ftf.
Didn't find it there, but checked the telcons
following it, and bingo, there it is.)

I kinda like the way the WDs are, so I'm interested in
re-opening that decision. Hm... is the fact that
the WDs are now published and I (among others) like
it sufficient new information to revisit the
decision, Mr. Chair? Or shall we instruct the editors
to fix the WDs w.r.t. our decision record?