RE: DDTF/layering: weak class theory seems good enough (5.3, 5.10)

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:09:07 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

>This would, in effect, end up with a very non-standard logic for the
>ontology level.  We would also be doing a grave disservice to the upper
>levels of the layer cake.  We would, in effect, be taking some of the bad
>decisions made in RDF and reusing them, making it even harder to get to the
>rule or logic level.

Could you briefly summarize what those bad decisions were? Seems to
me that there is nothing in RDF itself that prevents one extending it
to full FOL, in fact to full ISO-KIF if one wishes to go that far
(which is a subset of full Lw1w). Of course this would be a syntactic
extension, but there is nothing in RDF that says it cannot be
syntactically extended.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes