Re: ISSUE: DAML+OIL semantics is too weak

At 2:45 PM -0400 5/16/02, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>TITLE:       DAML+OIL semantics is too weak
>	     axiomatization) are too weak.  For example, it does not allow
>	     the inference of membership in any restrictions that are not
>	     present in the knowledge base, even though many of these are
>	     desirable consequences.   For example, if John is an instance
>	     of both Person and Employee, DAML+OIL does not sanction the
>	     conclusion that John is an instance of an intersection of
>	     Person and Employee.
>RAISED BY:   Peter F. Patel-Schneider
>STATUS:	     RAISED
>REFERENCE:   too numerous to find a definitive reference

Peter - is this meant to replace Issue 5.3 which you already raised
and we opened?   The "too numerous" references you mention were, as
far as I can tell, emails that have been allowed as part of this 5.3
issue
  If this is a separate issue, can you add some text so the untrained
reader (or obtuse WG chair) can figure out how we could separately
discuss and/or close these issues (e.g. could we resolve one and
leave the open for a future group?)
  -JH

>5.3 Semantic Layering
>
>The web ontology language is expected to be maximally compatible,
>both syntactically and semantically, with RDF and RDFS. It was seen,
>however, that there might be problems with semantic compatibility
>and the necessary entailments needed in the ontology language's
>model theory. Reconciling the difference between RDF's MT and the MT
>for our language is important. One proposed solution, called "dark"
>or "unasserted" triples, might be added to RDF, another possibility
>is an ontology-language-only solution, if one can be produced.
>
>Name 5.3-Semantic-Layering
>Raised By Peter Patel-Schneider
>Date 29 Apr 2002
>Status Open
>Resolution
>Reference Original message

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler