Re: SEM: semantics for current proposal (why R disjoint V?) (sameState TEST)

On April 29, Dan Connolly writes:
> On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 12:59, Ian Horrocks wrote:
> > What you seem to want is to use datatype values as "keys", and I can
> > see why this might be useful.
>
> Good; thanks.
>
> > Unfortunately, the interaction of UnambiguousProperty and datatypes
> > makes this problematical. Imagine, for example, that a datatype
> > consisting of integers in the range 0-999 is used as a unique-id/key
> > for instances of the class Person such that all persons have exactly
> > one unique-id, all unique-ids are integers in the range 0-999, and
> > unique-id is an UnambiguousProperty.  In order to function correctly,
>
> That is: 'in order to function as Ian would like'. We don't
> have a requirement for complete-and-tractible reasoning.

I protest at this. The charter says that we should have "a formal
semantics to clearly delineate what is, and is not, entailed". The
semantics therefore define the correct functioning of a
reasoner. Whether or not we want or are required to build one is
another issue.

> > a reasoner is now required to understand the properties of datatypes,
> > e.g., that the cardinality of this particular datatype is 1,000, and
> > that as a result no model can contain more than 1,000 instances of
> > Person (note that this would not be the case if unique-ids were reals
> > in the range 0-999).
> >
> > The formal properties of the resulting logic are not well understood
> > (e.g., it is not clear yet if the language would be
> > decidable). Moreover, it would cause severe problems for implementors
>
> Implementors of complete reasoners, yes, I can see that.

And possibly also for implementors of sound reasoners.

> But I'm having trouble seeing this as a problem users are likely
> to run into in practice. If you could pose a test case that's
> pretty clearly something folks want to do, that might help.
>
> If this sort of class is a problem,
> I'd prefer to limit cardinality constraints to
> 0/1/2/infinity than give up the sameState functionality.

I believe that I already described the problem. If you use
UnambiguousProperty combined with a datatype to implement keys then a
reasoner will need to understand some of the properties of the
datatype in order to function correctly (i.e., in accordance with the
semantics); I gave an example above.

I don't pretend to know at this stage all the possible uses that
people might put the language to, which is one reason why I always
argue for designing a language which we can work with (at least in
principal) whatever people write down in it.

Ian