Re: LANG: compliance levels

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 09:32:45 +0200
To: www-webont-wg@w3.org
Jonathan Borden wrote:

Ian Horrocks wrote:

> > I would suggest that where universal quantification is being widely
> > used in practice, it is either as a result of its being the only
> > available option and/or the fact that many users assume an implicit
> > existential - it never occurs to them that people all of whose
> > children are doctors may not have any children at all (I would hardly
> > bother telling you what type their children must be if they don't have
> > any children, would I?).

Ian,

Arguing that there are different modelling styles is one thing,
arguing that everybody who has a different modelling style doesn't
understand what they are doing is quite another.

Universal restrictions are exactly what is found in many OO languages:
"if slot S has a value, then it is of type X"
I find it hard to believe that entire communities don't understand what
they are writing down.

Frank.
   ----